BUCS Big Wednesday Success for Birmingham | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

BUCS Big Wednesday Success for Birmingham

It was a successful finals day with plenty of silverware at BUCS Big Wednesday for many of UoB's sports teams, as sport online editor Nancy Frostick summarises

As it approached the end of the season for most of Birmingham’s team sports, the University of Bath hosted the annual BUCS Big Wednesday that saw sports from badminton to football in action. UoB had a great end to the season with medals in three sports: rugby union, hockey and squash. Following Wednesday’s results, Birmingham sit in seventh place in the BUCS Championship table with 2573.33 points behind Bath on 2729. Loughborough currently sit atop the table with 5011 points. UB Sport will hope to match or better last year’s result of a fifth place finish overall, with a few sports yet to complete or start their seasons. Here’s a round-up of the action and the medals at BUCS Big Wednesday:

Rugby Union:

Birmingham’s women’s 1s beat Nottingham 1s 7-0 in the Trophy Final. It has been a successful year for UoB’s women’s rugby team with victory in the BUCS rugby union Premier North Playoffs and the BUCS Midlands 1A title in 2016-17. Their haul of silverware this year also means they have successfully defended the Trophy and Midlands 1A titles, having won both in 2015-16. On their way to the Trophy Final they beat Hartpury 1s 12-39 in the semi-final and Cardiff Met 2s 25-12 in the quarter-finals. Birmingham did the double over their final opponents, as Nottingham also finished runner-up in the Midland 1A league.

Hockey:

UoB’s women’s 1s secured the BUCS Championship title for a fourth successive year with a 1-0 victory over rivals Loughborough 1s. Olympic gold-medallist Lily Owsley scored the only goal of the game to ensure Birmingham held on to their impressive record. This comes alongside being crowned champions in the BUCS North A for the 2016-17 season, another title the team have held for the last four years, to round off a successful season for women’s hockey. They finished top of the North A table with six wins from ten games and 20 points – four more than Loughborough in second place.

UoB's Olympic gold-medallist Lily Owsley scores in the BUCS Big Wednesday Championship final against Loughborough.

Squash:

The men’s 2s reached the final of the Trophy match but lost to the University of West England 1-4, so came away with the silver medal. Their progression to the final was a vast improvement on their results in the same competition last year, where they reached the fourth round. It has been a successful season all round for the Birmingham 2s team as they matched their league form from 2015-16 by placing second in the Midlands 1A league behind Nottingham Trent 1s with eight wins from ten matches.

Gaelic Football:

Although the finals of the Gaelic football didn’t take place on BUCS Big Wednesday, two of Birmingham’s teams made it to the National Championship Final. The women’s team picked up a silver medal after losing to Glasgow, 3:08-6:09. UoB opened the scoring early through Eva Hicks, but two goals for the opposition gave Glasgow a 0:04-2:04 lead. Another goal went against Birmingham before half time, leaving the score 0:05-3:04 at the break. A competitive second half led to more goals for both sides, although victory was just out of reach for UoB with the score at full-time 3:08-6:09 in Glasgow’s favour.

The men’s seconds also reached the National Final for Division 3 against Kingston. Unfortunately UoB lost out by just a single point after the game went to extra time, with the score at Kingston 2-6 and Birmingham 2-5.

University:League:Cup:Individual:Total:
Loughborough University2198106417495011
Durham University243712713814089
University of Nottingham2231990509.83730.8
University of Edinburgh1797.554710543398.5
University of Exeter18996543612914
University of Bath16005955342729
University of Birmingham1685571317.332573.33
Northumbria University1400.5598541.82540.3
University of Bristol15744531712198
Newcastle University12444312131888

3rd year History and English student and online editor of Redbrick Sport. Might not have the skills to pay the bills, but once played at Wembley. Usually rabbiting on about women's football. (@nancyfrostick)

Sportsbet