Champions League Predictions | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Champions League Predictions

Sports writer Alec Knowles discusses the mid-week Champions League games, making his predictions on how the English clubs will fare.

Real Madrid vs Spurs

Tuesday October 17th, 19:45 BST:

Tottenham Hotspur are on fine form in Europe and after winning both their opening games they have reason to be optimistic. However, this fixture is arguably the hardest they will play all season and even without the presence of injured ex-Spurs man Gareth Bale, it is hard to see anything but a Real Madrid win here.

With Dele Alli serving his final game of suspension, I see Pochettino using more of a defensive strategy at the home of the European Champions, with talisman Harry Kane as a target man. I predicted a tough night in Madrid, but expect Spurs to qualify from the group.

Score Prediction: Real Madrid 3-1 Spurs. Kane and Ronaldo to score.

Manchester City vs Napoli

Tuesday October 17th, 19:45 BST

Manchester City have scored 24 goals in their last 5 Premier League games and haven't conceded in Europe this season meaning a guaranteed win to many - especially with the home advantage.

However, Napoli are currently Serie A leaders, scoring 3 goals or more in 7 of their last 9 games in all competitions. This game can therefore only be seen as a high scoring game with both sets of starting elevens boasting great attacking players - Dries Mertens is the most notable player for Napoli.

In any other game I would be predicting a Napoli win but against a Pep Guardiola side in fine form at home, a third consecutive European win is all I can see.

Score Prediction: Manchester City 4-2 Napoli. Gabriel Jesus to score. 

Maribor vs Liverpool

Tuesday October 17th, 19:45 BST

A first meeting in an official competition between these two sides and with neither registering a win in the competition thus far, a win is vital for both sides. For a realistic chance of qualifying, Klopp's men really need to get the 3 points here and even after a frustrating 90 minutes against Manchester United on the weekend, a Liverpool win seems likely here.

Score Prediction: Maribor 0-2 Liverpool. Coutinho to score. 

Benfica vs Manchester United

Wednesday October 18th, 19:45 BST

United travel to Portugal on the back of a first class defensive performance away at Anfield. However, Jose Mourinho is likely to play a polar opposite style of play with the Red Devils looking to dominate the game. Paul Pogba and Marouane Fellaini are out through injury and Eric Bailly and Marcus Rashford are unlikely to travel.

A controlled performance is still expected by Manchester United and with a less than impressive performance on the weekend by Romelu Lukaku, I expect him to bounce back and help this team to a third group win.

Score Prediction: Benfica 0-2 Manchester United. Lukaku to score.

Chelsea vs Roma

Wednesday October 18th, 19:45 BST

For Antonio Conte, it has been a rollercoaster of emotions in the last few games - from the triumphant win away to Atletico Madrid to back-to-back defeats in the Premier League including an embarrassing loss to winless Crystal Palace.

With Morata likely to be back in action, Chelsea will hope to maintain their European momentum with another win here. Roma are no pushovers, though and have an unbeaten record in the tournament so far including a goalless draw with Atleti.

If Eden Dzeko can be given decent service and Chelsea are on another off-day they they have a chance. I however believe that the Chelsea players will use the Palace loss as motivation to push on in Europe.

Score Prediction: Chelsea 2-0 Roma. Morata to score. 

Written by Alec Knowles

Mick Baker