'Chrissie's Gym' at UB Sport & Fitness Officially Opened | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

‘Chrissie’s Gym’ at UB Sport & Fitness Officially Opened

Sport online editor, Nicola Kenton, reports on Chrissie Wellington officially opening the gym named after her in UB Sport & Fitness

On Monday 12th June, UoB Alumna Chrissie Wellington returned to the campus where she studied her Geography degree to officially open the gym named in her honour at the new UB Sport & Fitness.

'My dad told me on my first day at the University of Birmingham to make a mark for all the right reasons. To know I have left a mark like this gym is very important to me'
The new gym, which opened to students on 22nd May, was named through a public vote launched in 2014. British triathlete and four-time Ironman World Champion, Wellington received 43% of the vote ahead of Gladstone Small (29%) and Ellie Simmonds (28%). The gym features equipment by Olympic supplier Technogym, which has an integrated wellness app to track progress and interactive screens to help improve the motivation; there is also 25 pieces of inclusive equipment for those members with physical impairments to train effectively and comfortable. Furthermore, low-energy and self-powered treadmills are also featured in the new facility.

A dedication ceremony took place which saw staff and students from Sport and Fitness, as well as local community sport representatives, some alumni and donors who have supported the development on the new building. The new building also contains a 50m swimming pool, a large multi-sports arena, a 10m climbing studio and six glass-back squash courts - which can be seen in our exclusive here.

Chrissie Wellington OBE said: “My dad told me on my first day at the University of Birmingham to make a mark for all the right reasons. To know I have left a mark like this gym is very important to me. For me it is less about winning medals, it’s more about inspiring people to achieve more and live healthy active lives. This gym will help the University do that and I am proud to formally open it today.”

Zena Wooldridge OBE, Director of Sport at the University of Birmingham said “It is a pleasure to welcome Chrissie back to the University and we are delighted to officially open the outstanding facility. Chrissie’s gym is the result of several years of hard work and planning to develop a first class gym facility that meets the demands of tomorrow’s champions. We look forward to welcoming athletes and aspiring sports stars to the fantastic facility and supporting all of our members to achieve their personal goals.”

4th year Geography student and online editor of Redbrick Sport. Supporter of Northamptonshire teams. Particularly interested in and write about F1, Swimming, Athletics, Darts and Sports Personality of the Year. (@Nicola_Kenton)

14th June 2017 at 11:30 pm

University of Birmingham