The Common Goal Initiative: What It Is, and Why It Matters | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

The Common Goal Initiative: What It Is, and Why It Matters

Alex Alton looks at Juan Mata's Common Goal initiative and why more footballers should be involved in movements like it

One of football's main problems of late is it's sheer inability to give back to the community which props it up. In the new age of commercialisation in football, players, agents and clubs now earn more than a pretty penny for their trade. And for all that football gives to the world, its most fervent critics would argue that it rarely gives anything back. Perhaps Juan Mata's initiative, Common Goal, can silence these critics once and for all.

Common Goal, according to it's website, aims to unite the world of football "behind a shared social vision". For the moment, the main practice of Common Goal is attempting to get football players to give just 1% of their wages to a collective fund. From this collective fund, the money is redistributed to multiple football charities. This kind of social movement in the football world is unparalleled, with the main objective of this altruistic organisation to "transform the beautiful game into a powerful force for good".

This kind of social movement in the football world is unparalleled

What is impressive so far is the calibre of sportspeople onboard. Obviously, the project is set up by Spanish midfielder Juan Mata. The man already has an incredible reputation for being an all round nice guy, and boasts 7 million Twitter followers to boot. This is a fantastic starting point. In addition, though, there are other stars with similar profiles to Mata involved. Recent members to opt in include excellent defenders Giorgio Chiellini and Mats Hummels, United States Womens National Team star Alex Morgan and Japanese midfielder Shinji Kagawa. On a less notable scale, English footballers Alfie Mawson and Charlie Daniels have announced their intention to also donate 1% of their wages to Common Goal.

The thing that is so exciting about this project is it's potential ability to involve many more footballers right across the industry. Imagine if it became an accepted fact of being a footballer that it is right to donate a small portion of your wages to charities that feed back directly in the sport.

PUMA

and

wshjackson