From the Editor’s Desk: A Redbrick Retirement | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

From the Editor’s Desk: A Redbrick Retirement

In her final article for Redbrick, sport online editor Nancy Frostick reflects on a year of sporting retirements and looks forward to the next generation of Redbrick writers

‘Una squadra per la vita’, or ‘one squad for a lifetime’. That phrase is true for the King of Rome, Francesco Totti, following his retirement from football after a career of 785 games in 25 years for his beloved AS Roma. Every year top football players and sports stars retire, but this year it feels like a higher proportion than ever. After Totti and John Terry, Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard, Xabi Alonso, Phillip Lahm, Jessica Ennis-Hill, Kobe Bryant, Michael Phelps, Nico Rosberg, Bradley Wiggins and soon to be Usain Bolt, plenty of sports stars have moved on to other things in 2016-17.

In the case of the Redbrick Sport editorial team, three of us are being forced into Redbrick retirement and one is making a big money move on to next year’s committee as deputy editor. Like the end of the reign of the Pevensies in The Chronicles of Narnia, we’re going on to life outside the wardrobe and (rather horrifically) the real world. Tedious links to C.S. Lewis aside (the other half-male, half-female quartet comparisons available were ABBA and the Scooby Doo kids, so the options weren’t great), this article marks the end of my Redbrick career and is likely to be as self-indulgent, nostalgic and filled with weepy thank you speeches as any good testimonial match.

The people of Redbrick are committed and close-knit and you should definitely, definitely become one of them if you’re at UoB

If you’ve stumbled across this article somewhere on the internet or in an edition of Redbrick that’s still knocking around the sofas on the third floor of Arts, then hopefully you’re enjoying the last edition of the year enough to have made it all the way to sport at the back. Please appreciate that in your hands (or on your screen) is the most fantastic and lovingly put together student newspaper you’ll find anywhere. A lot of effort goes into each edition and slaving away in the dungeons of the Guild, starved of daylight and reliable PCs, is the most brilliant team that brings you all the latest and most important news in Brum (and beyond). We do it all for free as, sadly, there’s no lucrative sponsorship deals or goals per game bonuses for any of us. The people of Redbrick are committed and close-knit and you should definitely, definitely become one of them if you’re at UoB and writing for us has ever crossed your mind. Promise you won’t regret it.

To continue the theme of vague sporting references and tedious links, you could (at a push) compare Redbrick to a football club. Our writers are our players, the editorial team are the coaching staff and we have a disproportionately high managerial turnover rate with one new editor-in-chief every year. It might be stretching the comparison too far to suggest that our readers are devoted enough to be called fans, although maybe that’s unfair to the parents who probably read every edition. The faces, the appearance and the playing style might change a little, but the club has an identity and it is still going strong after 81 years. 

The faces, the appearance and the playing style might change a little, but the club has an identity and it is still going strong after 81 years

So as three-quarters of the sport editorial team hang up our boots, it only seems right to say good luck to next year’s trio, upon whom we’ve thrust the editorial captain’s armband with weighty expectation. There’s no doubt that the section is in safe hands with Alex, Leanne and Olli, especially under the watchful eye of Harry and the rest of the new committee (who are all fab too).

A quick nod to Redbrick’s own football club, the inventively named Redbrick FC, who will also see the retirement of many players after our final match of a successful season this week in the Dungeons Derby against our noisy neighbours Burn FM (pun very much intended). Good luck at the Bournebeu next season to anyone lucky enough to pull on an RFC shirt.

As the saying goes, all good things come to an end. Whether we move on to football punditry, coaching roles or a sideways move into a career in IT management, the team at Redbrick Sport have had a cracking season together, so thanks for sticking with us. And so, with a whimper – who am I kidding, I’m crying more than John Terry in the rain after missing that penalty in the Champions League Final – all that’s left to say is thanks to Redbrick and everyone involved with it for being the best two years you can imagine. In the words of the eternally cool Francesco Totti, “I will succeed in turning the page and throwing myself into a new adventure.”

3rd year History and English student and online editor of Redbrick Sport. Might not have the skills to pay the bills, but once played at Wembley. Usually rabbiting on about women's football. (@nancyfrostick)

sconosciuto