Mohamed Salah: Stunning Start At Liverpool | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Mohamed Salah: Stunning Start At Liverpool

Sport Editor Leanne Prescott discusses Mohamed Salah's brilliant start to life at Liverpool, having scored 12 goals in 17 games

Mohamed Salah delivered another two goals for Liverpool, showing a composed, cool head against West Ham to cap off an impressive solo performance and take his tally to 12 goals in 17 appearances in all competitions; a record only bettered by Harry Kane.

Such a return represents a far cry from his previous stint in the Premier League with Chelsea. The Egyptian scored just twice in 19 appearances over the course of two seasons, struggling to get to grips with the rigour of England's top flight. Of course, given football fans are pretty fickle, that saw him gain the name 'Chelsea reject' upon his move to Liverpool. However, it's turned out pretty well for Salah, much like a certain striker obtained a few years ago.

To put things into perspective, Philippe Coutinho was the clubs top goal scorer last season with 14, just two more than Salah has already managed before Christmas. That puts him second in the goal-scoring rankings when looking at the first 17 games for Liverpool.

Player Goals Scored
Robbie Fowler 14
Mohamed Salah 12
Daniel Sturridge 12
Fernando Torres 11
Luis Suarez 7
Sadio Mane 7

To boast a higher record than three world-class strikers in Sturridge, Torres and Suarez, speaks volumes about the quality Salah has produced.

His movement is arguably his best asset as he's proved to be a nightmare for opposition defenders. We've seen some flexible interchanging between the front three of Firmino, Mane and Salah and with Coutinho and Lallana still to return, Liverpool's attacking talent is right up there.

"Of all transfers last summer, none has had more impact than Liverpool's Mohamed Salah. When I saw him score his first for the club at Watford, I felt this was a player who would score 15 this season. I underestimated; he's on schedule to get 25." - Jamie Carragher

Salah's goals have come in all forms. Take his goal on Saturday for example, where he combined neatly with Sadio Mane on the counter-attack before slotting the ball past Joe Hart. Then you've got his header against Leicester; his volley against Maribor; a low rifled shot for his second against West Ham and a goal with his weaker foot against Spurs. You name it, he's scored it.

It's hard to think of a Liverpool signing that's made an impact of the same magnitude as the Egyptian. He's won every player of the month and goal of the month award, as well as two Player of the Week awards in the Champions League.

At the age of 25, he's still got his peak years ahead of him and given what he's already achieved under Jurgen Klopp, the sky is the limit for Mo, who very well looks like the 30+ goals a season man fans have been craving.

19 year old Liverpool supporter. (@_lfcleanne)

Дмитрий Садовников