NBL MATCH REPORT 5/5 BIRMINGHAM LIONS WIN | University of Birmingham

NBL Quickfire Match Report (5/5): Ladies Doubles Victory seals epic 3-2 win for Birmingham

In the final match of the evening, Birmingham's Anita Kaur and Sarah Walker beat Ellen Mahenthiralingam and Cheryl Seinen in the women's doubles, to secure an emphatic 3-2 win for the Birmingham Lions

The doubles pairing Kaur and Walker quickly established themselves, moving into a 5-2 lead, no doubt making full use of their vast international experience. A couple of tricky shots forced errors from both sides, bringing the score to 7-4. A barrage of smash shots from Nottingham earned them a vital point as the Lions moved towards sealing the game, which they did with ease, the final score 9-5.

A lengthy rally ended in a point for the Lions, which got a rapturous response from the home crowd. More dominant play pushed Kaur and Walker into a 4-1 lead, when Nottingham called for a time out. An error from Dutch international Seinen and a powerful shot from Kaur moved Birmingham into an 8-1 lead, which they did not let slip. The second game ended quickly with a 9-1 scoreline to the Lions.

Nottingham took the first point of the third game after Kaur ended a long run of shots by drilling the shuttlecock into the net. With the score at 2-0 to Seinen and Witts it looked as though Nottingham might pull away, but the Lions responded quickly, pulling the scoreline back to three points apiece. Things got a little tighter as the game progressed, adn with the score at 6-4 to Birmingham, Kaur opted for the power play. A tense rally was eventually smashed home by Kaur to bring it to 8-4. In the final point of the night, the crowd added to the tension by clapping Kaur and Walker home to a 9-5 victory in what was a convincing and easy victory for the women's doubles.

Birmingham Lions ended the night as winners with three wins to Nottingham's two, their first victory of the season in front of a happy home crowd at the University of Birmingham's Great Hall.

3rd year History and English student and online editor of Redbrick Sport. Might not have the skills to pay the bills, but once played at Wembley. Usually rabbiting on about women's football. (@nancyfrostick)

1st December 2015 at 9:50 pm