Premier League Darts: Week 15 Review | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Premier League Darts: Week 15 Review

Sports writer, Bradley West, reports on the final week of the Premier League Darts which saw the qualifiers for Finals Night confirmed

Phil Taylor completed the play-off lineup for Finals Night at the O2 on 18th May with victory over Adrian Lewis, whilst Dave Chisnall was held to a 6-6 draw and knew from that point onward that regardless of Taylor's result he would not make the O2.

Match Night 15 Results

Dave Chisnall 6-6 James Wade;

Phil Taylor 7-5 Adrian Lewis;

Peter Wright 7-1 Raymond van Barneveld;

Michael van Gerwen 7-4 Gary Anderson

Dave Chisnall 6-6 James Wade

Dave Chisnall failed to qualify for the top four and Finals Night at the O2 after a draw against James Wade that should really have been a victory for the left-handed thrower considering Wade was 6-2 ahead. At 4-2 to Wade, 'Chizzy' knew his chances of the top four were mathematically out of the question.

Wade, averaging 96, was much improved from his previous affairs but it still wasn't enough as Chizzy improved to take four legs on the spin, including a sensational 129 checkout, to ensure he received a point in his final match of the 2017 campaign.

Phil Taylor 7-5 Adrian Lewis

Having already ensured his play-off place following Chisnall's 6-6 draw in the opening match, Phil Taylor ensured he finished a respectable third with victory over Adrian Lewis, who could not qualify for the O2 going into the final night of the regular season.

Lewis performed brightly for most of the contest and narrowly missed a 9 darter, only missing double 12 as he raced into a 5-3 lead. Taylor reeled off four consecutive legs with accurate finishing to take the victory.

The 18th May sees the 2017 Premier League come to an enthralling climax

Peter Wright 7-1 Raymond van Barneveld

Peter Wright dominated 'Barney' to dispatch with him easily by seven legs to 1. Wright averaged 97 and hit 42% of his doubles as he defeated an off-form 'Barney' comfortably.

For van Barneveld the match represented his significant drop in form over the past month or so which had seen him go out of contention in the race for the top four.

Michael van Gerwen 7-4 Gary Anderson

World number one Michael van Gerwen ensured he topped the table with a solid victory over rival Gary Anderson, which meant Anderson finished fourth in the final standings.

van Gerwen averaged 103 and, despite Anderson being more prolific on the double, 'The Flying Scotsman' could not keep up with MvG's power scoring in the end.

PlayerPldPtsLD
van Gerwen (Q)162432
Wright (Q)162330
Taylor (Q)16197
Anderson (Q)161812
Chisnall1616-5
van Barneveld1614-10
Wade1613-13
Lewis1613-14
Klaasen (R)163-16
Huybrechts (R)163-23

The 18th May sees the 2017 Premier League come to an enthralling climax with Finals Night at the O2, both semi finals and the final on the same night as we find out who will become the 2017 Premier League Champion.

English Literature and History student. Sports Writer. Mainly cover cricket, football, F1 and darts. Forever in awe of Joe Root's strokeplay. (@BradleyCLWest)

18th May 2017 at 12:25 pm

Lawrence Lustig/PDC