Premier League Darts: Week 2 Review | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Premier League Darts: Week 2 Review

Sports writer, Bradley West, reports on the results of week two of the Premier League of Darts

Night two of the tournament saw the Premier League roll into Nottingham as the Motorpoint Arena was treated to a tense night of darting action that included two nail-biting draws and an imperious performance from world number 1, ‘Mighty Mike’, Michael van Gerwen who threatened this year’s first whitewash in his 7-3 victory over Peter Wright.

Match Night 2 Results

Adrian Lewis 7-2 Dave Chisnall

James Wade 6-6 Phil Taylor

Jelle Klaasen 3-7 Gary Anderson

Peter Wright 3-7 Michael van Gerwen

Kim Huybrechts 6-6 Raymond van Barneveld

Adrian Lewis 7-2 Dave Chisnall

Two-time world champion Adrian Lewis secured his first points of the 2017 Premier League as he easily dispatched an off-form Dave Chisnall. Chisnall, only averaging 90, was outmatched in the scoring department but it was the doubles where Lewis was particularly ruthless, managing an impressive 53% as the Stoke thrower bounced back from his disappointing defeat in week 1 when he gave up a 4-1 lead. To cap off a good showing, Lewis registered a brilliant 160 checkout en route to victory.

James Wade 6-6 Phil Taylor

In a repeat of two previous Premier League finals, including the 2009 classic in which Taylor hit two nine-darters – ironic in a week that saw van Gerwen become the second man to achieve this remarkable feat, the spoils were shared. On the balance of things though, it really should have been Wade that took all the points. Wade missed chances to go 4-1 up as he dominated the early proceedings with an average well in excess of 100.

Despite his level dropping, Wade again missed doubles to take a 6-5 lead in a match where the Aldershot thrower outscored the 16-time world champion by over 6 points.

Nevertheless, Taylor earned his point with a succession of clutch ton-plus finishes, three in total, including a brilliant 142 finish to even take a 6-5 lead. Wade managed to hold his nerve by taking out 56 though to secure a draw, which was certainly the least he deserved.

Jelle Klaasen 3-7 Gary Anderson

Despite a good start and a level that was consistently high, Jelle Klaasen suffered his second defeat in as many weeks as Gary Anderson’s class proved too much for the Dutchman. Kicking off the match with an 11 darter, hitting a 122 finish in the match and ending with a 97 average may suggest Klaasen deserved better but Anderson rose to the occasion and stepped up in gears as he raced into a 6-2 lead by which point Klaasen’s confidence was dented.

Klaasen will start to get concerned if good performances like this continue to not be enough to earn him any points; even at this early stage point accumulation is crucial in avoiding relegation.

Peter Wright 3-7 Michael van Gerwen

The undisputed best player in the world extended his unbeaten run on TV to an unbelievable 39 matches as he thrashed Peter Wright in the evening’s penultimate match. Van Gerwen was in imperious form as he hit three 180s and a 170 checkout, seemingly an easy feat for ‘Mighty Mike’ as the Dutchman raced into a 6-0 lead.

Wright managed to avoid the humiliation of a whitewash as he pulled three legs back after MvG failed to take match darts but Wright’s scoring power was never there and van Gerwen sealed the victory in the next leg with a 105 match average.

The night’s final match provided week 2’s second draw in a topsy-turvy match that included an impressive seven 180s from van Barneveld. RvB struggled on his doubles throughout the match and even had to take out a crucial 80 finish in the final leg to secure a point as Huybrechts’ relentless pressure took its toll on ‘Barney’. For Huybrechts it was a good time to secure his first point of the tournament, releasing any tension on his return to the Premier League which should now provide him with more confidence heading into the weeks to come.

PlayerPldPtsLD
Taylor234
van Gerwen234
Anderson234
van Barneveld232
Wade232
Lewis223
Wright22-1
Huybrechts21-2
Klaasen20-7
Chisnall20-9

Following night two five players remain unbeaten, although these records will be severely tested next week in Leeds. Next week the ‘El Clasico’ of darts tops the bill as Phil Taylor takes on Raymond van Barneveld while long-time rivals Adrian Lewis and James Wade square off and Gary Anderson takes on Peter Wright. All three of these matches are difficult to call and will most likely be decided by one or two crucial moments. Roll on week 3...

English Literature and History student. Sports Writer. Mainly cover cricket, football, F1 and darts. Forever in awe of Joe Root's strokeplay. (@BradleyCLWest)

Marco Verch