Spotlight On: Ultimate Frisbee | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Spotlight On: Ultimate Frisbee

For the next installment of Redbrick Sport’s ‘Spotlight On’ series, online editor Nancy Frostick spoke to Ultimate Frisbee Club Captain Josh Chapman

It might not be one of the most well-known BUCS sports, but Ultimate Frisbee is certainly booming at UoB. Following the most successful season by a UK University Ultimate team in history, the club is going from strength to strength. The club has teams for a range of divisions and abilities, both competitive and casual, including men’s, women’s, mixed, indoor and outdoor teams. With over 100 new members this year, there are plenty of reasons to get involved.

So, what is Ultimate Frisbee and how do you play?

Josh explains; ‘Ultimate Frisbee is the world’s fastest growing sport. It is usually described as a cross between American football and netball - you can't run when you have the disc and you score by catching the disc in an ‘end-zone’. Training sessions with UBU involve preparing for upcoming tournaments, fitness, skill drills and practice matches. As such a fast-growing sport, training is important to hone your skills and can lead to rapid progression. Josh said: ‘Despite being an easy sport to pick up, it is quite a difficult sport to master. But, the satisfaction you get from throwing a Frisbee 80 yards with no effort is quite cool. And, although technically a non-contact sport, it can get quite physical and is very athletic at the top-level.’

Talking of the top-level of Ultimate Frisbee, it seems like Birmingham are one of the leading clubs in the country. Last season they won five out of a possible six BUCS gold medals, with just the men’s 1sts outdoor team narrowly missing out at nationals, but still picking up third place. Both the mixed and women’s teams won their indoor and outdoor divisions, and the men’s 1sts won the indoor title.

Contact Details and Training Info:

Club Captain: Josh Chapman

Twitter: @unibhamultimate

Instagram/Snapchat: @ubultimate

Training: Wednesday and Friday, and fitness sessions on Saturday morning.

After such a successful season, what are UBU’s hopes for this year?

Following such a triumphant year, expectations are a little lower as the club goes through a transitional phase. Josh explains; ‘At the end of that glorious season, we lost a lot of our core members meaning this season will be a “development” year. We are still up to our winning ways, having placed top ten at nationals so far, and with the outdoor season ongoing, our aim is still to push for gold medals.’

The club is all about the growth of individual players as well as the squad as a whole, as Josh tells us that every year beginners are encouraged to try out for Great Britain. ‘Every year at least one person makes the GB squad. In my first year, the first teams were made up almost entirely of GB players, which meant the coaching we received was top-notch. We still have competing GB players and have even had members win bronze medals at international competitions.’

If you aren’t already persuaded to get in contact and join UoB’s Ultimate Frisbee team, here’s Josh’s top five reasons to try the world’s fastest growing sport:

1. Ultimate is a relatively easy sport to pick up, and one in which you can progress very easily.
  2. Some of the throws can look pretty cool, and when everyone is in the park or at the beach you can be that guy or girl everyone is looking at and thinking ‘whoa’!
  3. The community. We are a fun club and do a lot of socialising together – from sports nights to sober socials like Zorb football, climbing, bowling, five-a-side football and laser quest. We even have an annual camping trip to The Gower where we try not to play Frisbee at all!
  4. Fitness. We prioritise fitness at the club and if you want to get fitter and have fun at the same time then joining UB Ultimate is the best thing you could do!
  5. There is a place for everyone at the club. From beginners to GB players to members who don’t train with us but still come out to sports night with us – everyone is welcome.

3rd year History and English student and online editor of Redbrick Sport. Might not have the skills to pay the bills, but once played at Wembley. Usually rabbiting on about women's football. (@nancyfrostick)

UB Ultimate