UoB Archery Attend First BUTTS Leg of The Year | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

UoB Archery Attend First BUTTS Leg of The Year

UoB archery experienced their first BUTTS leg of the year at Nottingham Trent University, enjoying good success in the competition.

On November 11, University of Birmingham archery attended their first BUTTS Leg of the year at Nottingham Trent University.

A total of 18 archers attended the competition and completed a Portsmouth round, consisting of 60 arrows shot at a 60cm target from a distance of 20 yards. For some archers, it was to be their first ever Portsmouth score, let alone their first competition score! This did not put off Birmingham’s Novice team as they went on to take home 5 out of the possible 6 Novice medals.

In the ladies recurve category, Sports Scholar Eleanor Piper made a star studded debut to the BUTTS League claiming the Gold medal with a score of 574/600! Team mate Evelina D’Arcy finished in 4th place with a score of 549 also at her first BUTTS competition and Elisa Gradwohl finished 6th with a score of 521. Gent recurve saw Jamal Rahman as the Legs only Birmingham archer in the category finishing 6th with 547.

Hullbert: I was absolutely thrilled to win my first competition, it was a great way to validate the work I’ve put into archery so far

In the alternate bowstyles, Birmingham’s continued their success as compound archer Sam Rees achieved the silver medal with a score of 575 and ladies compound archer Alice Cotton topped her category with a score of 507. Ladies Barebow archer Amelia Elgey added to the medals winning gold with a competition personal best of 491! Barebow team mates India Wilson finished 4th and Pam Quilang finished 5th both scoring 429.

'I was absolutely thrilled to win my first competition, it was a great way to validate the work I’ve put into archery so far. I had a few wobbles now and then, but we have a great team, so no one stay down in the dumps for long! Most of all, it was a great experience shooting side by side with some talented archers, from whom I could learn a lot from.' - Gold medal winning novice Ed Hulbert

After shooting for the first time in October, Birmingham’s novices attended their first competition against Warwick, Derby and Nottingham Trent. The novice team, having little practice of how a Portsmouth is run, seemed to settle in nicely even with a few equipment failures. The ladies Novice category saw Imogen Mellor winning gold with 399 and Eleanor Naccarato winning silver at 370, teammates Sarah Pokorny finished in 4th with 360, Heather Ford in 5th with 270 and Sapna Ganesh in 7th with 193.

'After last year’s dominance our experienced result has revealed a few things to work on for the next leg, but our novices did everyone proud with a great start to the season! I’m excited to see how this year unfolds for the club!' - Jamal Rahman

The novice gents claimed a clean sweep of the podium taking home all three medals with Ed Hulbert winning gold at 477, Alistair Stewart winning Silver at 458 and Saivan Khonji-Sajjadi winning bronze at 402. Teammate Ed Drayton finished 12th with a score of 293.

In team scores Birmingham’s experienced archers finished 4th with a score of 2191 behind Warwick’s 2316. Birmingham’s novices finished 2nd with a score of 1736 behind Nottingham’s 1765.

“After last year’s dominance our experienced result has revealed a few things to work on for the next leg, but our novices did everyone proud with a great start to the season! I’m excited to see how this year unfolds for the club!”

Princess Ann Quilang