UoB Does the Great Birmingham 10k | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

UoB Does the Great Birmingham 10k

Online editor, Nicola Kenton, reports on UB Sport entering a team of students into the Great Birmingham 10k which takes place at the end of April

The Great Birmingham 10k will take place around the city on Sunday 30th April 2017 and there will be a lot of students taking part. Currently UB Sport have 250 members signed up for the event and you can still enter until 30th March. You'll also receive a £5 student discount with the price being just £21. UB Sport would like as many people to take part as possible and Redbrick is joining in the act too with committee members and editors signed up to take part.

But what if you've never run before, I hear you say. Don't worry about that! You can complete the course in any way you want whether that be running, jogging or walking - there will be plenty of music and entertainment to power you through those final miles. Speaking of the course, here are a few pointers about the route: the first 6km is relatively flat allowing you to ease into the event, before the route has an uphill section around 7-8km as the course flows into town, finally the last section is flat and fast with a downhill finish. Along the way you'll take in the sights of Millennium Point, the Bullring, Edgbaston Cricket Ground and finish on Broad Street.

But what about training? Well UB Sport have that covered too! There's an outdoor beginners running class that meet on Tuesday's at 4pm outside Munrow - you can sign up at Munrow reception or online. Moreover, Cool Runnings have sessions on Saturday mornings and volunteer at the Great Local run, where you can complete a 2km or 5km time run, which takes place at the Vale on Sunday mornings.

Some of those who have already signed up include Leigh Inness, "I always volunteer at big events like this, but as it's my final in Birmingham I wanted to run this time and be a part of it. I'm also looking forward to starting in the University of Birmingham Team wave!". James Reed also says, "I've never done a big race and it will be a great feeling to finish. It will also allow me to push myself and track my progress."

So, if you want to join the University of Birmingham wave then sign up via the 360Birmingham website but remember you only have until the 9th April!

4th year Geography student and online editor of Redbrick Sport. Supporter of Northamptonshire teams. Particularly interested in and write about F1, Swimming, Athletics, Darts and Sports Personality of the Year. (@Nicola_Kenton)

UBSport