UniDosh - a New Student Marketplace App | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

UniDosh – a New Student Marketplace App

Sci & Tech editor Kara Watson looks into the newest student marketplace and savings app - UniDosh, which was created by students, for students

As students, we have precarious financial situations. With most of our time focused on our university work, it is hard to keep a part-time job as well without causing a lot of stress and exhaustion. But as our student loans often don’t completely cover the cost of living, sometimes a job is essential, despite the difficulty. Having witnessed this struggle first hand, current students Joseph Black and Oliver Jacobs decided to design the first marketplace app exclusively for students – UniDosh. They wanted to provide a way for students to earn and save money by getting students to provide and buy services at prices that suit them. 2 years later, and UniDosh has been launched.

They wanted to provide a way for students to earn and save money by getting students to provide and buy services at prices that suit them

UniDosh is comprised of two sections: UniSell and UniBuy. UniSell is where you can advertise your service to other students. You can easily adjust your availability by setting specific time slots on your profile, then you simply fill out a biography about yourself and set your price. There are a range of categories for services you can provide, including tutoring, cleaning, music, and hair & beauty. If you can’t find a category that fits, you can suggest one for the app to have, but it’s likely that whatever your skill is, you can advertise it on UniDosh, with no cost to yourself to do so.

UniBuy is where you search for people who can provide the service you need, all of whom will be fellow students, with student-friendly prices. You can also set your preference for a date and time that you are free, and see if it matches up with any of the sellers. UniDosh has its own in-app messaging service for you to easily contact each other. There are reviews and ratings you can set for sellers to let other students know if they provide a good service, and you only pay when the service has been completed and both sides are pleased with the outcome. You can be certain that the sellers are students, as to log in to the app you must enter your university email address and student ID number.

The founders of UniDosh spotted a gap in the market for this app, with no other student marketplace apps currently available
The founders of UniDosh spotted a gap in the market for this app, with no other student marketplace apps currently available. UniDosh offers a safe and secure way to either find an affordable seller, or to earn some extra money for supporting yourself at university. The app has a clean, clear, and modern look, as well as being easy to navigate. It also delivers an alternative method to entering the working world as UniDosh is a middle-step in learning how to advertise your skills. As they keep money within the student community, UniDosh could be the next big thing among students that need that extra cash or an affordable service.

At the moment, UniDosh is available in Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester, and Nottingham, with plans to expand in the summer. Tours around these campuses are being planned to engage more students with the app. You can find UniDosh on both iOS and Android, and you can follow the company on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram to keep up with the latest updates and information.

Print Editor for Sci&Tech. Third year Zoology student, mad about animals, mainly interested in animal behaviour. (@Karaml_Watson)

UniDosh