The Apprentice 2017: Meet the Candidates | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

The Apprentice 2017: Meet the Candidates

As The Apprentice returns, TV Critic Grace Lynskey gives a lowdown of this year's latest candidates

The Apprentice, the favourite reality series is back but with a whole new set of 18 candidates all hoping to win Lord Sugar’s £250,000 investment into their own business. They are set to entertain the nation in the new series previewing on 4th October 2017.

The show includes a brand new host this series with Radio 1 DJ, Matt Edmondson. The seven-minute preview doesn’t actually give much away in terms of what we are to expect from this year’s selection of candidates. It is largely based on a focus towards humorous editing of candidates one-liners, making it difficult to gauge which candidates are strongest and will stand out throughout the series.

Harrison described himself as being 'quite opinionative', conveying his cluelessness in the use of a word that doesn’t actually exist
Candidates have been attracted from a wide range of business sectors including fashion, construction and engineering. From what was revealed, they appear to be the standard montage of over-promising and under-delivering wannabes that every series always brings. Amongst the boys, the only words we heard from James, 26, were "do nice guys earn £200,000 a year?" He does however, have his own IT recruitment business and considers his drive and ambition to be his best qualities. Jeff Wan, 28, is a semi-pro hip hop dancer, a skill a little more interesting than the generic business-related credits most of the other candidates also have. He has the potential to separate himself from the rest. Harrison, on the other hand, described himself as being "quite opinionative", conveying his cluelessness in the use of a word that doesn’t actually exist.

Michaela Wain, 33, looks to be a no-nonsense contestant as she’s stated she "has no patience for people who say stupid stuff." The only candidate who claims she is not "all talk" is Jade English, a 25-year-old PR & Marketing manager from Manchester who actually seems fairly normal. She claims she is "emotionally intelligent," perhaps this will be useful when the weeks become more intensive further into the series.

24-year-old Charles seems to be the most versatile candidate as he has experience in management consultancy, a watch trading company and comparison website. He may be one to watch with a solid background of relevant and transferable experience for the show. Sarah Jane Clark, 25, has a harsh exterior and believes that never letting her guard down will help her win. This is definitely a strong trait to have for a challenging 12 week endurance test.

This series there definitely appears to be a stronger accumulation of experience in general, with a lot of the candidates being older and more impressive in terms of their current business credits to date
This series there definitely appears to be a stronger accumulation of experience in general, with a lot of the candidates being older and more impressive in terms of their current business credits to date. This will without a doubt, give them an edge in their ability to improvise and adapt well to the varying tasks set out each week. Bushra Shaikh, 34, may succumb to this advantage, having her own modest fashion label for Muslim women. Similarly, Danny Grant, 32, owns his own retail store and seems to have the makings of a very strong candidate. He seems grounded and loyal, but also admits to his weaknesses - something that is a true rarity on The Apprentice. The oldest candidate is Melissa McKenna, 39, and owns of a Florist chain. It will soon become clear as to whether these extra years of business experience will be the difference in how the candidates perform.

Irrespective of the fact that most of the candidates will probably be "all talk," it does have the makings to be a very good series. The first episode is at 9pm on 4th October and will see the candidates making their own luxury burger businesses. Needless to say, it will be an entertaining start to the series.

I'm a final year Law with Business student and this is my first year writing for RedBrick. (@gracelynskey)

The Independent and BBC