BBC Three Moves Online | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

BBC Three Moves Online

As BBC Three broadcasts for the last time, Tamsin Hackett reflects on it's history, and looks ahead to see if it has a future online

BBC Three has officially moved online, the channel ended its 13 years of television broadcasting on Tuesday (16th February) with an episode of Gavin and Stacey, a show that found success on the channel in 2007. Since its launch 13 years ago, BBC Three has been a platform for many other cutting edge programmes such as Little Britain, The Mighty Boosh, Being Human and Nighty Night. Damien Kavanagh, the BBC Three controller was adamant that the channel would continue its production of current and popular programmes in its move online, despite budget cuts.

'The move online sees BBC Three facing a budget cut from £85 million to £30 million.'
The move online sees BBC Three facing a budget cut from £85 million to £30 million. These savings are reportedly being driven into BBC One dramas. Yet the channel suggests that as well as continuing popular programmes they are also welcoming newer initiatives.

BBC Three is the first channel in the world to make such a move online and other channels are expected to make similar moves in the next decade. This move seems very suitable in an age where 70% of UK adults are using catch-up services such as BBC iPlayer, ITV Player and All 4, not to mention services such as Netflix.

To welcome new users the channel has also started a YouTube account and has started a new online platform called the Daily Drop, a stream of content including short films and news and sport updates.

Whilst this move is new and unusual, it seems fitting for a new age of viewers. BBC Three is keeping up with those watching content online and new platforms allow for faster contact with viewers. Perhaps this move is simply the first of many to come.

23rd February 2016 at 10:29 am

BBC News