Grey's Anatomy Celebrates The Big 300 | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Grey’s Anatomy Celebrates The Big 300

TV's Sophie Woodley looks ahead at the 300th episode of Grey's Anatomy, as season 14 of the medical drama gets underway

For all those dedicated Grey’s Anatomy fans out there, you’ll know that on Thursday 9th November (in the US), the show celebrated its 300th episode. In total, Grey’s Anatomy has had 13 seasons, and season 14 is currently airing. That’s right – season 14. From the outlook, this seems like a hefty sum of episodes and seasons for a show about doctors. However, Grey’s is much more than that. With all the relationships, dramas, deaths, plane crashes and weddings, there comes tears, laughter, shock and pure dedication to this show. From what I have just described, Grey’s Anatomy sounds very depressing and heavy going. Yes, this may be true. But, there is a great deal of light-hearted humour and simply feel-good moments, which gives a perfect balance to make a show so great.

Jessica Capshaw celebrated by doing an ‘Instagram Takeover’ of the official Grey’s Anatomy account
The cast and crew of Grey’s Anatomy have always celebrated big achievements like this. For instance, the 100th, 150th and 200th episodes (you get the picture), have always been monumental moments. The show celebrates this with an iconic Grey’s Anatomy cake and the cast traditionally put on their best outfits and celebrate the huge success with a massive party. If you follow any of the cast on Instagram, you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about. Jessica Capshaw (who plays Arizona Robbins), celebrated this by doing an ‘Instagram Takeover’ of the official Grey’s Anatomy account, where she walked around the whole set and spoke to her colleagues, who were filming the episode. Something that was worth seeing for all the die-hard Arizona fans.

But, despite all these celebrations and the wonder that comes with the big 300, what can we actually expect from the episode itself? So far, season 14 (that started on 28th September in the US) has involved the return of a few old faces (Teddy Altman and Owen Hunt’s sister), who have inevitably brought drama along with them. Not only have we been re-kindled with old characters, but new ones as well, as Arizona Robbins has gained a new love interest.

Also, Owen Hunt (trauma surgeon) and Amelia Shepherd (neurology surgeon), have split from their marriage, after they slowly drifted from each other. We have recently found out that this was because Amelia had a brain tumour which she decided to keep secret – the biggest and most shocking moment of the season so far (but don’t worry – she’s OK). As well, Meredith Grey (the central character to the whole show), went through the heartbreak of losing her husband, the beloved Derek Shepherd, in season 12. If you know one thing about Grey’s Anatomy, it’ll be that this write-off caused widespread upset for fans across the world. However, Meredith has found a new love interest, whom in season 14 has so far let her down. Poor Meredith hasn’t had much luck, so will this anticipated 300th episode introduce a new lover for her? Will Arizona’s new relationship crumble? Or will Owen and Amelia’s parting prove more difficult than expected?

Knowing Shonda Rhimes (the writer and producer), anything could happen. Rhimes, who also is a producer for the series How to Get Away with Murder, as well as the showrunner for Scandal, is renowned for throwing massive curve balls in a series. For me, this is what makes Grey’s Anatomy so great – you never know what’s around the corner. So, if you haven’t watched Grey’s Anatomy before, you’ll have a lot to catch up on, but it’ll be worth it. However, if you’re a dedicated fan like me, you’ll be itching to watch the 300th episode. It’s bound to be a good one.

The 300th Episode of Grey’s Anatomy is due to air on Wednesday 13th December, on Sky Living at 9:00 pm.

I'm currently in Second Year at UoB studying English Literature. I joined RedBrick as soon as I started University and wrote a few articles for the Travel section. This year I'm starting to write for News and TV in order to try and widen my coverage, and hope to build up lots of articles for the upcoming future. (@sophie_woodley)

ABC, TV Line and ABC