More Lost than Ever | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

More Lost than Ever

Simon Fairbanks guides us through the mixed up world of Lost and the long-awaited series finale After six years of polar bears, fish biscuits and smoke monsters, Lost finally ended...

Simon Fairbanks guides us through the mixed up world of Lost and the long-awaited series finale

After six years of polar bears, fish biscuits and smoke monsters, Lost finally ended with a two-and-a-half hour finale on Monday 24th May.

Many of us devotees arose at 4am to watch the live broadcast on Sky One, coinciding with its premiere in America.

Needless to say, the writers had an impossible task. The fans demanded an emotionally satisfying conclusion and answers to six seasons of mysteries. Expectations were beyond high and the blogosphere was on fire with anticipation.

So did they manage it? Well, it depends on who you ask.

After three weeks of denial, I have to admit that I felt betrayed by the Lost finale. I defended Lost for six years against much cynicism. The sceptics accused the writers of 'making it up as they go along', but Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse promised us that they would never ask a question unless they knew the answer.

Unfortunately, they didn't feel like sharing these answers with the fans.

During one of the final slo-mo hugging scenes, I wanted to scream: What is the light? What's with the Egyptian stuff? Why did Walt have psychic powers? Why could Miles commune with the dead? What happened to the real Henry Gale? Who were the Others? Why did Jughead not destroy the Island in 1977? Why can't babies be conceived on the Island? And I could go on and on.

The final episode was a let-down. The alternative LA X world introduced in Season Six turned out to be a bizarre version of the afterlife. The writers tricked us into thinking this was important.

Instead, it was just one long flash-forward after they had all died. It wasn't real. And they spent half of the final season establishing this world when they had five seasons' worth of mysteries to wrap up.

Admittedly, this afterlife world at least offered some fan-pleasing reunion moments.

By contrast, the on-island shenanigans were a complete bore. The plot consisted of turning off a light, killing the bad guy and turning the light back on again. This was particularly frustrating as we were told that the light must never go out. However, they all seem to cope fine without it for a good hour.

Unsurprisingly, many have taken the optimistic route. Lost was always a character-based show and the finale provided an emotionally satisfying farewell to much-loved characters. And there were some great one-liners, with one last Star Wars reference uttered by Hurley: 'I have a bad feeling about this.'

There is further closure ahead. The DVD release will contain twenty minutes of extra footage, which will address Walt and further mysteries.

Plus, Lindelof and Cuse are revealing further bits of information. They have already told an American entertainment show, E! Watch, that the Man in Black's name is Samuel.

But Lost now belongs to the fans. Reams of fan fiction will start appearing.

The expanded Star Wars Universe is a billion-dollar industry, with novels covering a thousand years worth of activity following the Return of the Jedi. The same will happen with Lost.

Presumably, fans will write their own novels to fill in the plot holes, chronicling the adventures of the Ajira Six or the new era of Island shenanigans under the reign of Hurley and Ben.

Ultimately, Lost was always destined to split the fans. But the journey is more important than the final destination and it has been one hell of a ride.

Lost has given us six years of great story-telling, well-written characters, explosive action, shocking twists, time travel, mysteries and monsters.

We will truly be lost without you.