Gilmore Girls: A Year In The Life | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Gilmore Girls: A Year In The Life

"I laughed, I cried. Constantly." TV Critic Amber Allcock reviews the ending of Gilmore Girls

I mean what a series. Through Rory’s graduation, her position at Yale Daily News, and her first post-graduation job I felt truly connected with the Gilmores. And of course, that’s a popular opinion since the coffee-obsessed duo have been stealing hearts since the very beginning of time. Many hearts in fact - and not just those of viewers. I’m talking about the extremely tiring love affairs and Lorelai’s unbearable fluctuating love interests, but, looking back, I wouldn’t change a thing because *spoiler alerts coming* the way things turned out was just great.

Other than the classic Friends, I’ve not found many other programmes that I have been really emotionally invested in. I’m not entirely blind-eyed however. Of course, with any show, there is undeniably annoying aspects that dramatically kill off a viewer’s interest. For me Lorelai was unbearable until she finally decided to stick with Luke, and I hated the way Rory became super harsh with Pete/Paul or whatever the hell his name is in the revival. But overall, Gilmore Girls is definitely a series to warm the heart.

In my opinion, Gilmore Girls has reached that end

Of course, ‘A year in the life’ hasn’t satisfied everyone. In fact, I was dreading to see how the revival turned out due to the overwhelmingly negative criticism I’ve heard on the grapevine. Nonetheless, I have to say, I loved the final episode. For me, I found it really captured the true Gilmore Girls spirit. Rory visits Christopher and there’s finally an overwhelming sense that she’s a woman who, as harsh as it seems, has lived without her Dad and doesn’t need him, and is putting all her efforts into writing a book about her and Lorelai. Lorelai manages to get through the whole final episode without so much of a mention of Christopher (an achievement within itself), and, after Richard’s death, Emily has found a piece of happiness in a rural haven. All the Gilmore Girls are, in true Gilmore spirit, following their heart and the unique strength within them.

The absolute biggest twist of course came at the very end, and, whilst I understand the controversy, I don’t understand why many feel the last episode leaves the audience on such a cliff-hanger. It is so not the way I expected it to turn out, but Rory telling Lorelai she is pregnant, seemed to make everything fall back into place. After Christopher and Rory’s awkward and distant meeting in the final episode, what better way to round off the cyclical nature of the ongoing, strong Gilmore spirit than having Logan as the implied father of her child? After all, Logan’s untamed nature (he’s engaged to a French woman but is having a longstanding affair with Rory) completely mirrors Christopher’s youthful character, and, whilst it is extremely frustrating that Rory and Logan didn’t end up together (well, depending on who you were rooting for) I loved the implication that Rory was going to take the reigns and produce an amazing, smart and talented kid, just like Lorelai did. So as Emily and Lorelai cheers to in the final episode - ‘to the circle of life’. On goes the Gilmore spirit…

That being said I absolutely beg that Gilmore Girls doesn’t continue for another series - an opinion I’m sure, contrary to my feelings on the final episode, is popular. I’m not ashamed to admit that after any great series ends and the blues kick in I can usually be found watching YouTube interviews of the cast to find out how they felt about the way things panned out (I guess I get a little too invested). This time, the interviewers focused on whether we would be seeing anymore of the Gilmore Girls. The cast had a range of responses; Lauren Graham (Lorelai) commented: ‘well, you know the last words – what do you think?’ (incase you can’t remember, Rory’s last words were ‘Mum, I’m pregnant.’ So that’s an implied 'yes,' from Graham then, whereas Alexis Bledel (Rory) said to do anymore for the sake of it risks killing the show off - and I absolutely agree with her.

Despite my content with the final episode, the revival series as a whole was already a rocky road with many bumps that left me worried about the way things were going to turn out. I can’t deal with there being another series where Lorelai and Luke share a rocky marriage and potentially break up AGAIN, so I pray I won’t have to go through that pain. There comes a time where the producers of a show have to recognise when enough is enough. In my opinion, Gilmore Girls has reached that end (something I wish the series Pretty Little Liars had done a long time ago), and, as David Sutcliffe (Christopher) noted, it was an impactful, but also smart ending, and that’s why we should say so long to the series and appreciate the good stuff.

Third year English Language & Literature student with an interest in all things edible and travel-related.

Gilmore Girls Facebook