Top Ten: Names to Watch Right Now | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Top Ten: Names to Watch Right Now

Hannah Stevens gives her top ten.

1. Chris Pratt

After proving his comedic ability in Parks and Recreation and impressing in smaller roles like Zero Dark Thirty and Her, Pratt is showing real promise, particularly with his upcoming role in Guardians of the Galaxy. With his name on the brink of becoming a household name, he is sure to be making many more prominent appearances in blockbusters in the near future.

2. Rose Byrne

Byrne has been on everyone’s radar for years with small roles in 28 Weeks Later and Troy. But in recent years her acting credentials have improved immensely with significant roles in X-Men: First Class and Neighbours. She excelled in Neighbours by holding her own against the comedic abilities of Seth Rogen, Dave Franco and Zac Efron. She is definitely one to keep an eye for in the next couple of years.

3. Matthew McConaughey

dallas-buyers-club-movie-wallpaper-7HBO's "True Detective" Season 1 / Director: Cary Fukunagawww-indiewire-com
Having been an established a romantic comedy goldmine for over a decade McConaughey has finally begun to take his career seriously. With an astounding performance in Dallas Buyers Club and an interesting turn in True Detective he has finally proven his acting ability. Much Like Bradley Cooper, McConaughey is one to watch now that he has shown he can compete with the big leagues.

4. Juno Temple

killer joe 4yfohKst_trinian_s40
Juno Temple has made her career in small indie films and she has shown that she has the ability to launch herself into the mainstream film world. With bit parts in blockbusters like The Dark Knight Rises and Maleficent, Temple has shown she can hold her own against some of Hollywood’s biggest stars. And now with upcoming roles in Horns, alongside Daniel Radcliffe, and Sin City: A Dame to Kill For it is clear that Temple is a rising star.

5. Dane DeHaan

originalDane-DeHaan_Green-Goblin-Amazing-Spider-Man-2-618x400kill-your-darlings-dane-dehaan

DeHaan is another figure that has lingered under the radar for far too long, but his recent role in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 has catapulted him into the spotlight. With upcoming roles including James Dean in Life, and as artist Jan Van Loos in Tulip Fever opposite Christoph Waltz, DeHaan is set to become a household name.

6. Kat Dennings

KatDenningsThorkat-dennings-como-max-en-2-broke-girlsdefendor04

Kat Dennings has become a recognisable face as Darcy in the Thor franchise, but prior to that her career has consisted of bit parts and indie films. She is currently playing one of the co-leads in the TV sitcom 2 Broke Girls, and I am confident that it will only take a few more bit roles before Dennings finally gets the sort of roles she deserves.

7. Logan Lerman

Logan-Lerman-as-Percy-Jackson-in-Percy-Jackson-Sea-of-Monsters-630x41427d33b77a5482989_PERKS-212-DF-07758.previewlogan-lerman-1394133513

Lerman has been working consistently for the last fifteen years and he is showing no signs of slowing down. With The Perks of Being a Wallflower he proved he could carry a film solo and in Noah he showed he could stand out next to Russell Crowe. Lerman has the ability, and the reputation, to go far and with an impressive resume already under his belt there is no doubt that he will.

8. Emmy Rossum

The-Day-After-Tomorrow-Emmy-Rossum-Jake-Gyllenhaalshameless_s4_ep9_emmyrossum_652_featured_photo_galleryemmy-rossum-phantom-of-the-opera

The US version of Shameless has put Emmy Rossum on the map after some depressingly mediocre performances in films like The Day After Tomorrow. Rossum has shown that she can break out of the insignificant roles and take on roles that push her to incredible extremes.

9. Tom Hardy

DARK KNIGHT RISEStomhardy4INCEPTION

He has been a steady climber over the past five ears with his breakout role in The Dark Knight Rises, and he’s certainly proven that he can act with his turns in Bronson and RocknRolla. With the release of Mad Max: Fury Road just round the corner it’s looking like he is finally set to solidify himself in the position of ‘film star’.

10. Emily Browning

11_film_sucker_punch_browning_hair_blow_600vlcsnap-2011-05-28-10h59m21s146pompeii_article

Despite her disastrous turn in Sucker Punch Browning has shown real promise in films like Sleeping Beauty, a dark take on the original fairytale. She has several films in the works, including Legend with Tom Hardy, and is clearly on the rise to become a permanent name in the film business.

Hannah Stevens is the Online Travel Editor and is studying Ancient History at the University of Birmingham. http://alturl.com/7qoz5 (@HannahShewans)

6th August 2014 at 3:03 pm

6th August 2014 at 3:09 pm