Old Joe Lights up for Breast Cancer Awareness month | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Old Joe Lights up for Breast Cancer Awareness month

Old Joe, the University of Birmingham’s clock tower, turned pink for Breast Cancer Awareness month from the 20th to the 31st October

For the past few years, Old Joe has changed its colours in aid of a number of different causes and organisations - for example, Old Joe has previously been lit up blue to raise awareness for testicular cancer. But last month, it turned pink.

Old Joe is not the only building to shed light on this issue; the Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham is also contributing to the fight against breast cancer. QEHB is holding a raffle to raise money for the cause, alongside selling pink merchandise. In a statement, Senior Fundraiser at QEHB Charity, Rachel Learmonth said, ‘QEHB Charity is so grateful to UoB for turning Old Joe pink to mark Breast Cancer Awareness month. Old Joe is such an iconic building and it is wonderful to see the clock face turn pink for such a worthy cause.’

Breast cancer, for many, is unfortunately close to home. Statistics indicate that, in this month alone, up to 5,000 people will be diagnosed. Furthermore, doctors diagnose someone every ten minutes in the UK. Many organisations are working hard to enhance the general public’s knowledge of this disease, including Breast Cancer Care. This year, Breast Cancer Care are celebrating their 25th anniversary of helping women who have suffered the life changing effects of breast cancer, and are raising money in the process. The organisation suggests there are three main things we can do ourselves in order to shed light on this issue; know the signs, share stories, and spread awareness via fundraising and other various activities.

For further information about how you can help Breast Cancer Care, visit their website at www.breastcancercare.org.uk

I'm currently in Second Year at UoB studying English Literature. I joined RedBrick as soon as I started University and wrote a few articles for the Travel section. This year I'm starting to write for News and TV in order to try and widen my coverage, and hope to build up lots of articles for the upcoming future. (@sophie_woodley)

Nick Geo