The Banksy Art Exhibition: Amsterdam | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

The Banksy Art Exhibition: Amsterdam

Travel writer Emillie visits Banksy's art exhibition lying in the heart of the creative city of Amsterdam

When suggesting a cultural few days in Amsterdam, art galleries may not be the first thing to jump to mind. Undoubtedly there’s a lot to experience in the incredible city. On my recent trip, alongside the beautiful architecture, scenery and the captivating culture, my visit to the Banksy exhibition was the highlight of the city break.

Banksy is known across the world for his striking and brutally honest graffiti artwork. Engaging with political themes his work is recognised and loved for its satirical critique of war, capitalism and greed. Which is all explored through his depictions of animals, authority figures, the royal family and children; this typical Banksy style and social comment is perfectly captured in Banksy: Laugh Now exhibition held in Amsterdam’s Moco museum. The exhibition features around 50 original pieces of Banksy’s street artwork, including many of his most famous pieces including Laugh Now, Barcode, and Girl with Balloon. Similarly, other pieces of his are featured at the Moco Museum, such as his indoor works on canvas, wood and paper, as well as a few pieces of his original outdoor artwork that has been rescued from the rubble of torn down buildings. This collection brings together the extent of Banksy’s work. In my opinion, this collective presentation captures the true essence of Banksy’s work and artistic voice as well as what his art can achieve. His brutal depictions of the failures of humanity are humbling and inspiring. Thus, this collection being the first ever exhibition of Banksy’s work in history is the perfect platform to bring together these once scattered pieces while experiencing the power of their collective voice.

This collective presentation of his harrowing and beautiful art makes for a captivating exhibition, and it is a must see in any trip to the city. The exhibition ends on May 31st 2017, so if you have the opportunity to do a mini city break in between revision, go and see it for yourself to get inspired.

Emillie Gallagher