Cinque Terre: A Target of Tourist Caps | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Cinque Terre: A Target of Tourist Caps

Travel writer Giulia discusses her regrets for the recent tourist caps put in place in the beautiful Italian seaside town of Cinque Terre.

A couple of months back I wrote an article about my time in the beautiful land of Cinque Terre; today it has been announced that Italy will be imposing a limit on visitors with a tourist ‘ticket’ system from April through to October.

IMG_2392This news doesn’t come to a surprise to those who have already been to Cinque Terre. What once used to be a hidden gem in the world has undeniably become a buzzing tourist hotspot. With people from all over the world coming together to visit the small seaside villages, the narrow streets that were once quiet are now swamped with English-speaking tourists, almost making it impossible to distinguish the Italian language. This swarm of tourists has become so evident to the locals that even signs for the trains and trails have been translated into English.

Last year about 2.5 million tourists planned their trip to Cinque Terre ca

'The head of the Cinque Terre Park has stated that no more than 1.5 million people will be allowed access this year from April to October.'
using for this ticket system to be implemented from this year on in order to reduce the number of visitors. The reason behind this massive incline in tourists is partly due to cruise companies adding more Italian ports to their hop off destinations such as ports near to Cinque Terre, following the militant attacks in Tunisia. The head of the Cinque Terre Park has stated that no more than 1.5 million people will be allowed access this year from April to October.

Although many may criticise the choice being made, locals have pledged their word in order to maintain the Italian heritage and preserve the national park. Tickets will be sold ahead of time online and possibly through an app created for tourists, to show which of the villages are least busy.

As touristy as it may be, the small villages making up Cinque Terre are without a doubt a glorious sight to see. The colour block homes along the Italian coast are breath-taking and with the villages being situated right in the heart of a national park it makes Cinque Terre all the more appealing to visit.

It’s upsetting when such small corners of the world are losing their local heritage and are feeling the need to reduce the number of visitors or make things easier for tourists by learning English. Perhaps generating this new ticket system is really the only way for Italy to preserve the last of this hidden gem.

20 year old politics student (@giulia_bardelli)

3rd April 2016 at 9:38 am

3rd April 2016 at 9:40 am

Giulia Bardelli