Best of Britain | Bridgnorth | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Best of Britain | Bridgnorth

Travel writer Chris Burden writes about Bridgnorth, a town fit for a King.

Bridgnorth is a gem in the centre of England, which is home to the best views in all of the Kingdom. However, these aren’t my words, these are the words of Charles I who found the industrial town to be of such beauty that he thought it eclipsed the more famous views of the lakes and peaks of the North.

And he isn’t alone, Britain in Bloom regularly awards gold awards to this town, situated just 20 minutes away from Wolverhampton, and a 45-minute drive from Birmingham. However, true to its picturesque nature, the best way to approach Bridgnorth is certainly not by road.

From central Birmingham, take the train to Kidderminster, where you’ll find the best way to get to this hidden town, poised perfectly above the Severn Valley. The Severn Valley railway runs a regular service from Kidderminster to the town using their fleet of heritage vehicles. Tickets are reasonable, at £19.50 for a return, though you are ferried in the luxury of an authentic steam locomotive through idyllic surrounds, and bizarrely through the Safari Park. Expect a glimpse of elephants as you steam through the woods.

A cheaper, though the definitively less picturesque approach, is to take the regular bus service from Wolverhampton Interchange which will deliver you to the Low Town in no time. When you arrive, be sure to use the Cliff Railway, the steepest and only inland funicular in the country, before exploring this bustling market town.

The town is full of culinary delights, from Black Country style Fish and Chips to independent Ice Cream shops and cafés. Regular markets bring the town to life along the historic high street. You’ll be confronted with so many timber-framed pubs that it will be difficult to choose! Whatever you choose to do, it is certain that this small market town will steal your heart.

Final Year Modern Languages student and proud Wulfrunian.

Chris Burden