Best of Britain | Cardiff | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Best of Britain | Cardiff

Travel writer Alys Haswell writes about her hometown, Cardiff, and the hidden delights it has to offer.

It is often not until someone visits your home and you become a part-time tour guide of the city that you grew up in that you really appreciate how much it has to offer or discover new favourite corners of the city that you may have previously overlooked. Cardiff has something to please everyone’s interests, with its city centre filled with sporting, shopping and historical experiences. Here’s a brief guide to a few of my favourite parts of the Welsh Capital.

Planted beside the medieval Cardiff Castle, Bute Park is a lovely green space to visit should the sun be shining. Pettigrew Tea Rooms, located within the park’s grounds, makes traditional afternoon teas in a newly-restored gatehouse and is also worth a visit. Take a walk along the short stretch of the River Taff from Bute Park to the Principality Stadium (or the ‘Millennium’ Stadium as many Welsh Rugby fans still adamantly call it), with Brains Brewery just ahead.

The Castle Quarter, consisting of Victorian and Edwardian Arcades, provides a change from the multitude of high street and designer shops making up the St David’s shopping centres. Castle, High Street and Duke Street Arcades are filled with independent coffee shops, delis and speciality retailers. Personal recommendations include New York Deli (well worth the possible lunchtime queue), Madame Fromage (ideal for cheese lovers) and Fabulous Welshcakes (you cannot visit Cardiff without trying one).

Cardiff Bay Barrage connects the city’s cultural waterfront development to Penarth Marina and is unsurprisingly popular with locals. The 30-minute stroll is an easy but breezy one and provides views of the beautiful coastline and Bristol Channel. So, with Cardiff being just under a two and half hour drive from Birmingham, and the six nations season adding an extra little bit of patriotic atmosphere to the streets, what better time to visit.

Third Year English Language with Semester Abroad student

Alys Haswell