Weekly Round-Up: Trailer Reviews | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Weekly Round-Up: Trailer Reviews

We're back with a round of the best recent film trailers to be released, including the latest instalment in the Batman franchise.

Batman: The Killing Joke

The Killing Joke by Alan Moore is perhaps the greatest Batman one-shot. Christopher Nolan's and Tim Burton’s films were inspired by it, if you needed any more convincing this is the definitive Batman on film. It’s also short, not long enough for an entire movie, so this will need some bulking out from elsewhere. But what a Joker it is. Mark Hamill reprises his role as the villain. Hamill has been killing it for more than 20 years as Batman’s nemesis and my goodness does he sound perfect here. Animation always makes sense in adapting comics since you can keep to the original look but here it all comes crashing down. The animation quality in this trailer is atrocious. There’s no other way to describe it besides sheer unmitigated bad. Just look at Batman in that second shot and cringe. It looks worse than the Justice League TV series and when that happens you are doing something astronomically wrong. Batman: The Killing Joke is releasing direct to DVD and Blu Ray on August 2nd, just a few days before Suicide Squad. Despite those animation issues, the story and the voice actor performances still make this one to look out for.

James Moore

Snowden

After a very guarded first teaser, Oliver Stone’s thriller Snowden finally has a full trailer. Now we can finally see Joseph Gordon Levitt suited up as the NSA computer genius Edward Snowden, the familiar whistleblower who is still keeping the heat on his former employers even as he chills out in his hideaway in Russia. This fast paced trailer shows you a few clips from Snowden’s journey from special forces drop out to NSA whistleblower, with all the suspense, danger and thrill involved along the way. Overall it looks like Stone has done a superb job, especially as Snowden himself is endorsing the film. It’ll certainly be interesting to see how he’s taken the original story and adapted it to the big screen for the general public.

Roshni Patel

Captain Fantastic

Don’t be fooled by the title, Captain Fantastic is not another superhero with a cheesy name. In fact, it’s a touching, quirky drama starring Viggo Mortensen as the father of a family who have made a home for themselves in a forest. After the death of Mortensen’s wife, he and his family are forced out of their comfort zone and into the real world. This is the kind of film that I love: A unique premise that looks at complicated subject matter and it isn’t afraid to embrace levity and sentimentality and not double down on its own misery. Mortensen is also the kind of actor that I love. Despite a star making turn in Lord of the Rings, he never type casts himself and continues to put in great performances in intriguing films. For indie film lovers, Captain Fantastic might just be a fantastic film.

Alex McDonald

Tulip Fever

Alicia Vikander swept the boards and won an Oscar for her tender and graceful performance as Gerda Wenger in The Danish Girl but her next starring role sees things take a turn for the…scandalous. Tulip Fever comes from acclaimed playwright Tom Stoppard, who penned Shakespeare In Love and sees Vikander star alongside fellow Oscar-winners Christoph Waltz and Judi Dench in 17th century Netherlands. Vikander plays Sophia, who falls in love with a painter (Kill Your Darlings’ Dane DeHaan) who has been commissioned by her husband (Waltz) to paint his beautiful wife’s portrait. Things seem to get a bit hot under the collar as Vikander and DeHaan embark on a forbidden affair and plan to use the risky tulip market to make their fortune and run away together. If the plot doesn't grab your attention, then the cast surely will. Vikander is a graceful and awe-struck presence on the screen and DeHaan remains somewhat of an enigma in his performances. Plus, you get to see Dame Judi Dench do her best ‘stern nun’ impression alongside Redbrick favourite Jack O’Connell and Cara Delevingne, who with this and Suicide Squad, could be looking at a breakout year.

George Griffiths

11th May 2016 at 11:55 am

21st December 2017 at 1:17 am

Den of Geek