10 Years of Victoria Beckham | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

10 Years of Victoria Beckham

Life and Style Writer Emma Curtis celebrates ten years of Victoria Beckham's brand and how she has evolved from the footballer's wife to the fashion icon

To many people, Victoria Beckham was known as being ‘Posh Spice’ in the pop group the Spice Girls who peaked in the 90s, despite Victoria’s questionable singing ability. She then married David Beckham, the hugely popular and talented British footballer in 1999 which consequently lead her to being known as just another footballers wife who appeared desperate for money and fame after the girl group split in the year 2000.

However, I would argue that Victoria Beckham’s image and influence has changed greatly since then. This year marked ten years of Victoria Beckham’s clothing brand. To celebrate the occasion, Victoria Beckham released a sixteen-piece collection that includes clutches, pumps, eyewear and jewellery. The collection is very much Victoria’s style: elegant, classy, sophisticated, somewhat simple but beautiful at the same time. It is also worth noting that some of her clutches and pumps from the collection are named the ‘Eva’, which I can only assume is a heart-warming tribute to her long-standing friendship with actress Eva Longoria.

An influential, creative and successful businesswoman
This ten-year anniversary highlights the success of Victoria Beckham as being more than just a footballer’s wife and instead, as an influential, creative and successful businesswoman. Her fashion brand was launched in 2008 and is now stocked in over 400 stores in over 50 different countries, which is an amazing achievement in such a short space of time. Her success has also been recognised by the fashion world when she won the Designer Brand of the Year Award in 2011 as well as her clothing line continuing to be a permanent feature of New York Fashion Week.

Alongside her fashion achievements, Victoria Beckham has used her influential platform to help others as well. For example, in 2010, she was involved in charity work with Save the Children, a charity that focuses on children’s rights, which lead to her being nominated for the Do Something With Style Award. Other charity work includes being a patron of the Elton John AIDS Foundation, a close family friend of the Beckham’s. Additionally, she is huge and influential advocate for animal rights and encourages clothing manufacturers to use faux or synthetic furs, as she does with her own clothing brand. In 2014, Beckham was also part of the campaign named Ban Bossy which aimed to discourage people from labelling businesswomen as being ‘bossy’, in order to encourage more women to take the lead and be ‘the boss’.

She is now known for being a successful fashion designer, a positive influencer, and an amazing mother to four children
Personally I am a big fan of Victoria Beckham purely because of how much she has achieved, for what she stands for and how she has been determined to alter her previous image of just being ‘David Beckham’s wife’. She is now known for being a successful fashion designer, a positive influencer, an amazing mother to four children and as a supportive wife to a famous footballer. Beckham uses her power and influence to encourage positive change, particularly in regards to animal welfare and gender equality, which can only be a good thing. It is not just me who thinks she should be recognised for her achievements; in 2017, she was rewarded with an OBE for her contribution to the fashion industry which is an amazing accomplishment that is truly deserved.

(@emmacurtis8)

Juergen Teller