Have you not quite worked out what to do after graduation? Are you annoyed that people keep asking you that question without you having a real answer? Maybe you’re thinking of travelling but in order to save money you decided to work from home first? If the answer to any of these questions is yes, […]

keep reading, this article might inspire you.

Have you not quite worked out what to do after graduation? Are you annoyed that people keep asking you that question without you having a real answer? Maybe you’re thinking of travelling but in order to save money you decided to work from home first? If the answer to any of these questions is yes, then keep reading, this article might inspire you.

When asking future graduates why they don’t go travelling after university, I often get answers like:”well… I’d love to, but I haven’t really got the money for it”. And that’s fair enough, I need some money too. This said, what most people don’t realise is that you can also work abroad and travel at the same time. Indeed, countries like Canada, Australia and New Zealand offer tourists and travellers of many nationalities the possibility to take a ‘working holiday’ visa. With it, visa takers can travel and work for 12 months, or sometimes even longer periods of time. Saving up in these countries has become the norm for many travellers, though many gap year students don’t necessarily know it. In fact, I was told by many of them that they regretted having worked back in Europe instead of Australia. But why is that the case?

I was told by many of them that they regretted having worked back in Europe instead of Australia. But why is that the case?

To start with, it might make sense financially to work in a country that has higher wages than those which are available in your own country. And this is likely to be the case in Australia, New Zealand and Canada. For example, you could get a job in a farm, and earn up to $1,000 (AUD) a week (true story!). Just doing this could enable you to pay your flight tickets after only a couple of weeks saving up! And even if you spend all your money whilst travelling, you have the possibility to get your taxes back when returning home. As a result, you could come back from your travels and not be out of pocket! How brilliant!? So here’s the good news, there is no need to delay travelling because you need to save huge amounts of money. Instead of working from home and get back to square one, you can start with a small amount of money, and keep earning whilst travelling.

Working in New Zealand, Canada or Australia is not only worth it for the money, but also for the type of experiences you could have out there. If you don’t choose a traditional job like receptionist, waiter or bartender, you could work in ski resorts, schools, cruise ships or get paid to ride horses in cattle stations! Another option, certainly less sexy, is to work as a housekeeper and clean bathrooms half of the time. If this happens, you could always make yourself feel better by thinking, ‘what doesn’t kill me makes me stronger’ – I promise it works.

Tempted? If so, what are you waiting for?

The extent to which you could work can vary. Because of the high wages and the fact that you can get your taxes back, some people decide to work intensely for the most of their stay. As an example, I met a guy in Alice Springs, who worked day and night at McDonalds and KFCs in order to send most of the money to his family back home!

After having saved enough money, you could choose to travel around Canada, Australia or New Zealand and feel freedom as never experienced before. Alternatively, you could travel to other regions that are much more affordable like South East Asia, South and Central America. Indeed, there’s nothing better than a meal costing you $1 even if you’ve earned a minimum wage of $13.75 (NZD) or $16 (AUD).

Raphael Szmir – @RaphaelSzmir