Almost Half of Students Feel Lonely at University | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Almost Half of Students Feel Lonely at University

Recent studies from a new university survey show that 46% of UK students at University admit to feelings of loneliness

Fresh Student Living published the studies, in light of ‘Self Care Awareness Week’, which took place last week from Monday 12th November.

Studies show that globally 32% of students feel lonely during their time at University.

Fresh Student Living manage student accommodation buildings across the UK and provide homes to over 16,000 students. They have investigated the top reasons why students may experience loneliness.

It was found that being away from friends and family, feeling isolated from groups or events, and having high expectations of university life are amongst the list of reasons causing loneliness.

According to Sodexo’s 2017 global report, 37% of students are likely to consider dropping out of University, and 42% have considered dropping out due to physical or mental health issues.

2017 statistics from the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) also shows that 1,180 students left their degree course in the 2014-15 academic year, due to mental health difficulties.

Redbrick spoke to a final year Theology student who said, ‘First year was both the most lonely and sociable year of university. One day I could be surrounded by everybody I had just met, on my course and in my accommodation, and then the next I could spend the majority of the day alone. I was meeting new people everyday, but even so, I felt the most lonely I have felt at University’.

Fresh Student Living have also suggested ways to combat loneliness at University, which involve joining a society, getting a part-time job, and talking to someone about your feelings of loneliness.

Student Minds, the UK’s student mental health charity, works with students, academics and professionals to find ways to improve students’ mental health.

Student Minds aim to ‘empower students and members of the university community to develop the knowledge, confidence and skills to look after their own mental help, support others, and create change.’

Their studies show that approximately 50% of young people enter Higher Education, and 75% of those face mental health difficulties by their mid-20s.

Fresh Student Living have labelled Student Minds as a place to get in touch if students are facing difficulties of loneliness at University.

Other organisations such as Samaritans, who provide 24/7 support for those experiencing feelings of distress, despair or depression, have also been recommended by Free Student Living.

More information on how to combat feelings of loneliness and difficulties with mental health at University can be found on Fresh Student Living’s website, https://freshstudentliving.co.uk/

Final Year English Literature Student ~ News Editor ~ (@sophie_woodley)

Nathan Dumalo