Birmingham Shortlisted for New C4 HQ | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Birmingham Shortlisted for New C4 HQ

The new national headquarters of Channel 4 could be built in Birmingham, its latest shortlist has revealed

The city’s bid will compete with Bristol, Cardiff, Glasgow, Manchester, Leeds and Liverpool to be the next home of the broadcaster. Over 30 cities originally submitted bids but only seven made the shortlist, with the winner being announced on 1st October.

Channel 4 is looking to move 300 of its 800 staff out of its current London offices into the regions, establishing a new national headquarters, two ‘creative hubs’ and three news bureaux.

Street: 'Now the hard work really starts as we begin negotiations in earnest to develop the most compelling case possible to the broadcaster'

The move will result in millions of pounds of television programming leaving the capital, with the channel’s new base featuring a state-of-the-art studio and executive board meeting facilities.

The broadcaster has stated that the new home of Channel 4 must have a working population of at least 200,000, travel time to London within three hours and high-quality infrastructure. Highlighting how Birmingham has all three desired properties, West Midlands Mayor Andy Street commented, ‘Now the hard work really starts as we begin negotiations in earnest to develop the most compelling case possible to the broadcaster’.

If Birmingham is not selected from the shortlist, it will be entered into the competition to host one of the two ‘creative hubs’. Six additional cities – Belfast, Brighton, Newcastle-Gateshead, Nottingham, Sheffield and Stoke-on-Trent – are also being considered for these smaller offices.

The channel’s current £100m headquarters on Horseferry Road in Victoria will remain the broadcaster’s London headquarters.

The channel’s current £100m headquarters on Horseferry Road in Victoria will remain the broadcaster’s London headquarters

The building opened in 1994 as a purpose-built facility for Channel 4. Based on designs by Richard Rogers and Partners, the construction took four years to the sum of £38.5m. The striking design features a large sculpture of the broadcaster's logo outside the main entrance, which the creative team at the channel use to publicise upcoming programmes.

Designs for Channel 4's new headquarters will be drawn up once a city and a site are chosen, although Richard Rogers and Partners have not yet confirmed that they will be directly involved in the project.

It is estimated that the broadcaster's expenditure on programming outside of the capital will rise from £169m per annum to approximately £350m by 2023 as a result of the move.

Redbrick Editor-in-Chief. Formerly News Editor & Elections Editor 2018. 2nd Year BA English Language and Literature. (@ErinSantillo)

Steve Cadman