Vice President (Education) The Vice President for Education works to improve the quality of education at the university. This role includes representing the interests of students at important university meetings including the Senate, Education Committee and Graduate School Management Board. The VPE also communicates with Student Reps to improve the running of academic courses. Candidates […]

Written by Thomas Byrne

Vice President (Education)

The Vice President for Education works to improve the quality of education at the university. This role includes representing the interests of students at important university meetings including the Senate, Education Committee and Graduate School Management Board. The VPE also communicates with Student Reps to improve the running of academic courses.

Candidates
Dave ‘Home of Witty Banter’ Glenwright
Sandhya ‘Tiger’ Trott
Simon Furse

Dave ‘Home of Witty Banter’ Glenwright

How do you feel on the first morning of the election campaign?
Nervous definitely, but excited aswell. This has been something that I’ve been building up to for a long time now. I’ve been wanting to run for a sabb position for a couple of years at least, and its exciting to realise that I’m finally able to get started with my campaign.

How have you prepared for your campaigning in the weeks leading up to Guild Elections?
Well being a third year I’ve had my dissertation to do, and have managed to get that sewn up over the last couple of weeks. I’ve also had other academic deadlines to meet and finished my last essay on Saturday, so with that now out of the way I’m able to fully concentrate on my election campaign. I’ve been running around like a loon too, doing last minute cardboard painting, finishing off statements and things such as lecture shout-outs, and tying up any loose ends in order to make sure I’m able to start from a strong position.

How have your campaign team been?
They are certainly committed. I may not have the largest campaign team but I have a good core group of people. My campaign manager is actually flying back from Germany on Wednesday! He has been out there on his erasmus year, so he’ll be able to offer great help and support. I’m just so grateful with the help I’ve received from them all so far. You can’t do this single-handedly and you need them not just for canvasing and campaigning, but for morale support too.
Back to top

Sandhya ‘Tiger’ Trott

I feel very nervous, but very excited too. I know it’s going to be a really stressful two weeks, but it’s going to be a great two weeks as well.

My living room has been replaced by cardboard, and other such things. There is paint everywhere too! Also, I’ve been getting ready for hustings, Q & A, and trying to firm up my manifesto and make it as perfect as it can be. In doing that hopefully people will think I’m the best candidate and vote for me.

How have your campaign team been?
I have a small group of core campaigners, but have a wider network that will be helping here and there. I also have a campaign manager who I can call upon as and when I need him, which is incredibly useful!
Back to top

Simon Furse

I feel alright. Although it is going to be grim! I’m not one of these people who pretends that I’m going to really enjoy it all, but I hope that after two weeks it will all have been worth it.

I’ve been painting on lots of cardboard, I’ve set up a website, and have been solidifying my policies and manifesto. I’m now just looking forward to finally getting on with it!

How have your campaign team been?
Admittedly, it is not that organised, but I do have some people helping me and hopefully I can guilt trip others into coming out and helping me over the next couple of weeks!
Back to top