Francis Shaw dons his skis and talks to director, Phil Trail and the cast of this new breezy British comedy Did anyone have skiing or snowboarding experience prior to filming? Phil Trail: Experience was not essential. We had training prepared and a team of stunt doubles (the Roxy female snowboarding team). In fact, most of […]

Written by francisshaw

Francis Shaw dons his skis and talks to director, Phil Trail and the cast of this new breezy British comedy

Did anyone have skiing or snowboarding experience prior to filming?

Phil Trail: Experience was not essential. We had training prepared and a team of stunt doubles (the Roxy female snowboarding team). In fact, most of the cast had next to no experience of snowboarding at all.

Felicity Jones: I used to ski when I was younger but I was never really into it. Also I had never even been on a snowboard. I picked it up after 6 weeks of training on set. It was a very intense experience to be learning to snowboard all day every day.

Tamsin Egerton: I had never skied prior to my role on his film. I never saw the appeal of going somewhere cold on holiday. I hated it at first, but after all the training I became good at it and by the end I loved it. I was doing blacks by the end!

Bill Bailey: Doing blacks! Is this some extended cut of the film I didn’t get to see! (Laughter)

Do you think the film’s humour will translate to other countries, especially the US?

Ed Westwick: Great British comedies always do well in the states, Bridget Jones for example. The Americans jumped right onto this when they first saw it.

PT: They don’t have the concept of chalet girls in the US so I’m not sure what they are going to do to the title… maybe Crazy, Snowboarding Maid.

BB: The sitcom I was in called Black Books was called Crazy Shop in Scandinavia. (Laughter)

Were there any problems filming on snow and at a high altitude?

PT: The camera men had a tough time in some spots but mostly it was fine. The weather was very changeable though. At one point we were forced off the mountain by security because a lightning storm was starting over where we were filming.

Was insurance a big issue?

PT: I wasn’t allowed to snowboard except on research trips, so there were lots of those. The insurance guys asked if the actors could be doubled. But they hadn’t come so far and trained to not snowboard at all so we paid up and insured them.

What were the worst injuries?

PT: I tried to show off for an interview by snowboarding a few inches and fell on my head. That was my worst injury. Brook Shields hit her knee with a bowling ball one evening when we were out and was so drunk she didn’t notice till the next day and was swiftly flown back to New York and went to hospital.

Are you now taken with snowboarding?

EW: I didn’t have any snowboarding experience prior to this, and didn’t need to do much on film so I am still not very good at it, but I love skiing.

FJ: I enjoyed the training and wanted to make sure I was capable of performing some tricks, by the end I could jump a few inches (laughter). When I go back I will be braver.