Digbeth Named Trendiest Spot in the UK | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Digbeth Named Trendiest Spot in the UK

Digbeth has topped a list of the coolest areas in Britain compiled by the Sunday Times

The area in the centre of Birmingham is a popular haunt of students as it boasts trendy independent stores and vintage clothing shops, as well as art galleries and unique dining experiences. The area’s locally-acclaimed Digbeth Dining Club has won awards for its savvy take on street food, bringing together a range of affordable and diverse food from independent merchants.

In their ‘Home’ magazine, the Sunday Times explained that Digbeth came out on top due to its ‘down-to- earth Brummie spirit and welcoming inclusive vibe’. Digbeth beat two London-based areas, Deptford and Clapton, which came in at 9th and 10th, as well as Bristol’s Old Market Quarter, which came second. The list comprised of just 12 areas, selected to represent ‘different stages of evolution’, that would appeal to ‘different ages from Deptford to Digbeth, Liverpool’s Baltic Triangle to Bristol’s Old Market Quarter’.

he area’s locally-acclaimed Digbeth Dining Club has won awards for its savvy take on street food
Amongst the local companies praised in the report were the newly-opened Baked in Brick restaurant and Digbeth Dining Club. Popular pub, The Old Crown, received a special mention for its ‘crispy chicken wings’ and ‘wraps grilled in the souped-up engine bay of a Mini’.

The Custard Factory was also applauded for showcasing an eclectic mix of shops, cafés, art venues and cinemas (such as The Mockingbird) and offering unique entertainment activities such as Ghetto Golf, which supplies city-goers ‘more reasons to hang out after hours’ in the urban hot spot.

Digbeth is a great place to work and play and it’s a real boost to see the district recognised as one of the coolest neighbourhoods in Britain

Co-founder of Oval Real Estate, James Craig, commented on the positive recognition in an interview with Birmingham Live, saying: ‘Digbeth is a great place to work and play and it’s a real boost to see the district recognised as one of the coolest neighbourhoods in Britain as we prepare to launch a series of exciting new event, food and beverage spaces in the future.’

Some of the new venues created this year include Ghetto Golf, The Ruin pub - which has already won over locals since its launch in October of last year - and the reopening of the Rainbow pub as a quirky cocktail bar, Finders Keepers.

Final Year French and Spanish student. News Reporter for Redbrick and Chair of the Linguist magazine. (@themainemily)

31st October 2018 at 7:00 am

Elliot Brown