Five members of the Birmingham University Labour Society attended and stewarded a question and answer event held by Ed Miliband. The event was held at the Burlington hotel in Birmingham as part of a tour of the UK.The Labour leader spoke about reforms and the future direction of the Labour Party. There were 500 people subscribed to attend the event.

Education Correspondent. 3rd year History student. Interests: History, Politics, Journalism.
Images by Alex Swanson

reluctance to make promises at this stage of the electoral cycle

The leader explained some of his ideas, such as freezing energy prices. He also promised a living wage scheme and abolishment of the bedroom tax if he got elected as Prime Minister in 2015. However, he explained his reluctance to make promises at this stage of the electoral cycle. Miliband says he does not want to make promises he may not be able to keep at a later stage.

ed miliband

Miliband focused questions about support for young people into two categories. He would create more apprenticeships for those who do not go to university, enabling better experience and prospects. Also he would like to delegate powers to teachers, as thousands of ‘free schools’ are too difficult to run from Whitehall. He would also like to increase the number of and quality of vocational qualifications and apprenticeship systems.

The Labour leader would also like to see more trust put into the younger generations. He explained his support for sixteen and seventeen year olds being allowed to vote. However this is not up for parliamentary debate.
The Labour Society students wholeheartedly enjoyed the event. They both stewarded the crowds to help the event run smoothly, as well as listened to Ed Miliband speak in front of the crowd. One student was lucky enough to be able to meet Miliband and shook his hand.