EGX Rezzed | Top 3 Multiplayer Games | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

EGX Rezzed | Top 3 Multiplayer Games

Avid fans of couch co-ops and multiplayer's, Editors James Law and Roshni Patel pick out their top 3 from the EGX Rezzed show floor

As students, we love to play games together with our fellow students, coursemates, or in the case of Redbrick Gaming- contributors. We all enjoy kicking back with some great people and great multiplayer games, and it's no different when we hit the show floor together. At EGX Rezzed there was a great mixture of games, from solo campaigns to mobile and VR, though as the headline suggests, this is James and Roshni’s favourite multiplayers, to keep your eyes on and perhaps buy for your couch co-op collection.

Catastronauts!

As a big fan of the wildly popular Overcooked, I was instantly drawn to Inertia Game Studios’ (Facility 47) latest project Catastronauts!, which promised the same co-op mayhem as Overcooked, but with a different setting and objectives. Echoing the premise of FTL: Faster Than Light, Catastronauts! tasks players with maintaining a ship and firing back at an alien fighter which seeks to destroy you. Bombarded by enemy laser fire, players must fire back while putting out fires and fixing damages to their weapons, tools and hull. The chaos only intensifies further as later levels introduce instant death solar flares, mines and batteries that constantly need recharging. Teamwork is key, as only together can you succeed. While there were only a few levels available to play at Rezzed, Catastronauts!’s is well on the way to completion and is due to be released later this year.

Muddledash

Featured as a buggy build in the Leftfield Collection at EGX Rezzed 2017, Muddledash rose to prominence this year. Now signed to publisher PQUBE (Cat Quest, 2Dark), Muddledash is slated for release in 2018. Late to the birthday party, players race to the finish as limber octopuses, traversing a number of obstacles in their path. But wait! You can’t arrive at the party empty handed. With only 1 present between the four guests, you’ll have to tackle, slime and slip past your friends to regain and maintain control of the present to the end of the race, as it’s who has control at the end that counts. What ensues is pure mayhem, as the Redbrick team pulled out all the stops to win, brawling for first possession, sliming each other and even going as far as to distract opponents outside of the game too. Due to the short nature of each round, it wasn’t a multiplayer game that we’d play for hours, but certainly one we’d set up at a gaming party.

Roshni Patel

Knights and Bikes

Knights and Bikes, brought to us by Foam Sword Games, is a whimsical peek into your fondest childhood memories. The aesthetic is bloody beautiful, putting the player firmly in the mindset of a child, enthralled with the world around them and making their own fantastical world.

In the section we played, we fought creepy metal hands with our water balloons and frisbees, defeating them and watching them reveal themselves as mere stacks of tin cans. An electromagnetic crane we used to help our quest was depicted as a friendly, magical wizard. All this between sisters challenging each other to bike races. Side note: the bike controls are nice too. Just as well in a game 50% named after them. Complex enough to demand skill, the biking mechanics require timing to avoid both asthma attacks and obstacles. This makes racing your co-op partner interesting, but not so tough that it becomes frustrating or unfair.

All of the mechanics felt smooth and appropriate to the vibe of the game world. It genuinely reminds me of a time when magic and fantasy could be found anywhere. This kind of depiction of the mundane as amazing is something I adore, and playing Knights and Bikes has me eager to see what new, quirky thrills the full release will provide.

James Law

21st April 2018 at 5:21 pm

Inertia Game Studios