Esports News In 90 Seconds | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Esports News In 90 Seconds

Gaming editor Roshni Patel catches us up on a busy few weeks in esports

A new university esports league has been formed with the support of BUCS, the National Student Esports (NSE), which has also recently announced a British University Esports Championship, featuring League of Legends, Dota 2 and CS:GO.

In other university league news, the National University Esport League (NUEL), has announced a summer season for its top 3 games, League of Legends, Overwatch and CS:GO, which will kick off in mid-July.

Across the pond, the Overwatch League enters its 4th and final regular season, amping up the pressure for many teams as they must quickly adapt to the new patch changes and dominate to secure their place in the season play-offs in New York this July.

In the Overwatch Contenders League, Fusion University won the North American league, while British Hurricane won the European league, and went on to beat Fusion University in the NA vs EU showdown match, proving the British are better than the Americans at esports, at least this time.

Closer to home saw the first UK Dota 2 Major held by ESL UK at the National Indoor Arena, Birmingham, which played host to almost 9000 spectators over 3 days of quarter, semi and grand finals, which saw Virtus.Pro annihilate OpTic Gaming in the finals, as the crowd adopted South American team paiN Gaming for the 3rd place play-offs.

The Major also brought an esports conference to Birmingham, courtesy of Esports Insider, which saw panels of industry experts open up about how community has shaped their path through the esports industry, with many panelists advocating for more live esports events to be held in the second city, Birmingham, specifically.

May also saw Fortnite developers, Epic Games, announce an unprecedented 1st season prize pool of $100 million, which is more than all the current major esports combined. This money will be distributed among all Epic Games affiliated tournaments over their inaugural 2018-2019 season.

Read more esports news online at: redbrick.me/gaming/esports

Redbrick Gaming Editor, who also occasionally dabbles in the dark arts of other sections. Graduating July 2018 (@roshofalltrades)

Epic Games