An unlicensed taxi driver has been jailed for nine years after he raped a Birmingham student in Selly Oak

News Editor and Third Year English Student.
Images by Roy Hughes

Attif Hamid was found guilty of rape at Birmingham Crown Court on Friday 21st of September following the assault in March.

The student was leaving a nightclub in Digbeth – where she was celebrating handing in her dissertation – when Hamid offered her a low fare of £10 for a taxi ride home.

Prosecutors told the court that Hamid became frustrated when she could not withdraw money from a cash machine. Then, he forced her to perform a sex act on him in a ‘secluded spot’ in Selly Oak before leaving her in the street.

Prosecutor Rhydian James called Hamid a ‘dangerous sexual predator’

The student managed to note down his vehicle registration and West Midlands Police arrested him later that day.
In court, the Judge said: ‘She was going to celebrate the fact she had finished her dissertation for her degree; she was going to go out with friends, enjoy and celebrate their achievements.

‘You in the meantime, were getting ready to go out as someone pretending to be a taxi driver.

‘She was vulnerable as you learned she had no cash. It was then you took the opportunity to rape her.’

Prosecutor Rhydian James called Hamid a ‘dangerous sexual predator’ and sentenced him to nine years in jail. He has also been disqualified from driving for six and a half years.

For information and guidance on how to report sexual assault please visit: https://www.west-midlands.police.uk/your-options/rape

To report a crime, you can contact West Midlands Police via Live Chat at west-midlands.police.uk. Alternatively, you can call 101 or dial 999 in an emergency.

More resources – including advice on how to take care of yourself after an assault, supporting someone you know who has been assaulted, and links to external support services – can be found on the University of Birmingham intranet here: https://intranet.birmingham.ac.uk/student/welfare/sexual-harassment-and-violence/you-report-we-support.aspx