Festival Preview: Lollapalooza Berlin | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Festival Preview: Lollapalooza Berlin

Georgie Deaville is Berlin bound for the legendary Lollapalooza festival.

'If you can’t decide between a European city break or one of the many music festivals on offer, Lollapalooza might just be the festival for you'
The term ‘Lollapalooza’ dates from a late 19th - early 20th century American idiomatic phrase meaning ‘an extraordinary or unusual thing, person, or event; an exceptional example or instance’ (just in case you were wondering). Created in North America in 1991, Lollapalooza is an annual festival that hosts alternative rock, heavy metal, punk rock, hip hop, and EDM bands and artists. Since the festivals birth, it had welcomed and exposed now popularised bands and artists such as Arctic Monkeys, The Killers, Lady Gaga, Calvin Harris and Björk to name a few.

It was only last year that the festival made its debut in Europe, taking place in the former Tempelhof Airport in Berlin. 2015 saw James Bay, Wolf Alice, Stereophonics, Tame Impala, Pond, Clean Bandit and a whole host of other artists that since then have taken the music industry by storm if they hadn’t already done so. This year’s lineup includes the legends that are Kings Of Leon, Radiohead, 2016 festival lineup dominators Major Lazer as well as The 1975, Catfish and the Bottlemen and AURORA as well as many more to be announced.

So this summer, if you can’t decide between a European city break or one of the many music festivals on offer, Lollapalooza might just be the festival for you. It's happening from the 10th - 11th September

indiespot