Festival Preview: Y Not Festival | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Festival Preview: Y Not Festival

A reasonably priced festival in Derbyshire has got Nathan Smith thinking Y Not.

'The calibre of bands on offer here make this an easy decision and a wonderful way to get your summer rocking'
Winner of the ‘Best Medium Festival’ award in 2015, Y Not Festival boasted headline performances from Johnny Marr, Snoop Dogg, Basement Jaxx and Primal Scream in a landmark year for this Derbyshire festival. Mixing established artists such as the aforementioned with up and coming talent – Saint Raymond and Honeyblood being prime examples – is one of the attractions of those looking to kick off their summer with a more reasonably priced festival.

A certifiable success story in the renaissance of UK Festivals, Y Not started out as an end-of-term piss-up and is now into its 11th year as a festival. The event now attracts upwards of 15,000 people and with Tier 1 and 2 tickets already sold out, it is well on course to do the same this year; with the calibre of bands on offer it is easy to see why!

This year sees an appearance from the more talented Gallagher and his high flying birds, along with effervescent ska band Madness in what are sure to be two breath-taking headline performances. More than able support comes from Welsh band Catfish and the Bottlemen, whose popularity has shown no signs of halting since 2014 debut album ‘The Balcony’ reached the UK Album Chart top 10. Armed with ‘British Breakthrough’ award courtesy of the BRIT’s and an anthemic new single in the form of ‘Soundcheck’, the four-piece will run the headliners close for performance of the weekend.

Indie stalwarts and consistently incredible The Cribs contribute another don’t miss act towards the weekend; Ryan Jarman’s eccentric showmanship is a sight to behold live and after seeing them dominate the main stage at Reading Festival last year I can vouch for this. The Hives, Everything Everything and Sundara Karma are all bands who deserve an opportunity on a bigger stage at one of the more renowned festivals, and will be looking to Y Not to be a stepping stone for them to excel as the festival seasons ploughs on!

Tickets for this family friendly festival are priced at £99.50 for the weekend, and for those of you who prefer the high life ‘Glamping’ is available for an extra £83 a head. The calibre of bands on offer here make this an easy decision and a wonderful way to get your summer rocking. It's all happening from the 29th - 31st July

(@nathansmith1995)

Ashbourne news telegraph