This week’s Fierce and Finished according to Life&Style writer Esther Newman.

Third year English Literature and Classics student and Life&Style and Film writer.

zombiesFIERCE:

The Pride and Prejudice and Zombies trailer: It feels like an age since we first found out that the best seller Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was being adapted for the big screen and, finally, we have a trailer. If you never thought you needed knife wielding women in corsets, going to balls, batting eyelashes, and battling zombies, you will now.

Jessica Jones (Netflix, from November): So far, Netflix have only teased glimpses of their new comic book ‘anti-hero’, but it’s been enough to generate a buzz. Promised to be complex, dark, funny, charismatic and dealing with a whole load of emotional baggage (because, which anti-hero isn’t really?), Jessica Jones is a great step towards equality in the Marvel universe.

Halsey – New Americana: Pairing New Americana, an anthem of youth disillusionment, with a lush and block-buster worthy dystopian music video, Halsey is tapping into a poignant part of pop culture. The video, which alludes to the whole host of post-apocalyptic films and TV shows of the past 10 years, echoes the satirical nature of the song.

FINISHED:

Lush’s new body-positive campaign deemed ‘pornographic’: Featuring models of all sizes, Lush Australia’s new body-positive campaign (entitled ‘Go Naked’) is exactly what we need: real women used for advertising products with all-natural and cruelty-free ingredients. However, following a complaint, Australia’s Advertising Standards Bureau has judged the images as “pornographic” and “offensive”. With the thousands of slim, bikini-clad women found plastered across adverts, it’s not hard to see this as yet another case of hypocritical body shaming.

Pan’s whitewashing: Boasting a star studded cast and huge budget; it’s easy to write Pan off as a feel-good, family blockbuster. A huge problem that many critics have, not surprisingly, picked up on, is the casting of Tiger Lily; namely, the casting of a white actress (Rooney Mara) for a Native American role. While, Pan isn’t the first, nor last, to be guilty of whitewashing, it’s a critical choice to make – especially in regards to the racist context of the Disney cartoon.

The wait for the next ASOIAF book: I have to admit, as a book fan first and foremost, I’ve always felt superior to TV fans. However, now the HBO series has caught up to the books, any edge I had is gone.