Life&Style Writer Hannah Shortis discusses the new trend of halloween jumpers. Are they worth purchasing or just a Christmas jumper rip-off?

Images by Good Free Photos

With Halloween costume prices only going up and the quality of the clothes often going down, high street brands have answered our prayers with their new hauntingly cheesy solution; Halloween jumpers. My first thought when approaching this new phenomenon was that it was just a Christmas rip-off, with the high Street simply applying a popular Christmas tradition to another holiday. However, after doing some research on these spooky woolly treasures, I have realized that buying a Halloween jumper may not be as crazy as it seems.

With the rise of the make-up industry and beauty influencers, it feels like the perfect opportunity to take on the tutorial challenge and make your face the centre of your costume

For the low price of £22 you can pick up your own spider web or pumpkin face Halloween jumper from ASOS online, this may seem a lot for a jumper but compared to a £40-50, tacky and low-quality costume, it is a lot more reasonable. You may argue that it’s hard to make a costume out of just a jumper.  But, with the rise of the make-up industry and beauty influencers, it feels like the perfect opportunity to take on the tutorial challenge and make your face the centre of your costume, with your snuggly Halloween woolly just an accent to your masterpiece.

Amazon sellers offer a sweatshirt alternative with prices averaging at around £15.00. Not everyone this Halloween is looking to become terrifyingly drunk from a cauldron of concoctions such as the ‘VK’, and for those people this item is perfect. It allows everyone to still feel in the spooky spirit without having to spend hours on the finding, sometimes making, and building, of a costume. For others it is a way to extend the Halloween period, so they don’t have to wait until full moon on Halloween night to release their inner ghoul. They can be in the scary spirit all week or even all month. 

It allows everyone to still feel in the spooky spirit without having to spend hours on the finding, sometimes making, and building, of a costume

Although these jumpers certainly aren’t the most practical (or in some cases attractive) choice, I would definitely say they are a must-have treat this Halloween. They are affordable, easy wear, super cute and fun. Perfect for an easy Halloween.