Comment Writer Alex Goodwin congratulates Trump on celebrating the anniversary of his Presidency in the most fitting of ways

4th year Political Science and International Relations student

On January 20th it was Trump’s first anniversary as President of the United States, and his gifts came in the form of women’s marches across America and a government shutdown.

A very suitable array of presents in my opinion.

Of course, the President felt the best way to celebrate said anniversary was with a gala at his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida, where his guests were expected to pay an upwards sum of $100,000 for a ticket. However, Trump got a nasty wake-up call when late Friday night an immigration bill failed to pass in congress, resulting in a government shutdown.

Trump immediately took to twitter to exclaim the Democrats were to blame for the shutdown, regardless of the fact it is the President that had not passed the budget. Old tweets from 2013 were immediately dug-up highlighting the President’s contradictory stance on the shutdown.

Trump got a nasty wake-up call when late Friday night an immigration bill failed to pass in congress, resulting in a government shutdown

He beckoned it was the Democrats fault during Obama’s shutdown in 2013 and stated how much better the country was doing after one day of the shutdown, without interference from the Democrats. However, now, under his own control, the shutdown is still the fault of the Democrats, and it is them we must blame for the shutdown’s dire consequences.

To be honest, I doubt many of us expected much less from the 45th President, but that doesn’t mean it makes your blood boil any less.

Trump’s weekend from hell did not stop there however, as hundreds of thousands of women took to the streets of major US cities to protest their president. Sporting signs such as ‘Dear World, on behalf of the US, I’m Sorry’ and ‘Super Callous Fragile Racist Sexist Lying POTUS,’ they were calling for female voices across the country and the world to be heard, with ultimately the impeachment of the sexual predator that currently holds office.

The #MeToo campaign has highlighted just how often women are not only objectified, but physically and sexually abused, and the leader of the free world is not free from accusations. You have to wonder what the President can do that’s wrong enough to receive impeachment. Collusion with Russia, sexual assault, and not condemning neo-Nazis have not yet stirred his political power pot.

Trump’s weekend from hell did not stop there however, as hundreds of thousands of women took to the streets of major US cities to protest their president

The president’s ego seems to safeguard him from actually yearning concerns about the state of his country, claiming Democrats are ‘more concerned with illegal immigrants than border safety,’ completely removing any human agency to the situation with Obama’s DACA policy (Deferred Action for Child Arrivals). In fairness to the President though, women and immigrants don’t have feelings or political influence, so why bother appeasing to them?

The young migrants that arrive to the US undocumented are spawns of Satan, rather than helpless, desperate children, overwhelmed by language barriers and culture shocks, so it is fair to see why the President holds their future so high on his domestic agenda. I bet their parents only set them up with a mere 1 million dollar grant to start their lives in New York too!

But why would Trump care about the rights of his own citizens when he doesn’t care about citizens abroad.  After all, he is nice and chummy with the leaders of Saudi Arabia and Egypt, two state leaders that run their countries built around human rights abuses and oppression.

I for one hope the Democrats stand strong on the DACA and immigration bills, and highlight the President’s blatant incompetency a little further. Meanwhile, women from around the globe will continue to stand in solidarity with American females that feel ostracised, put-down and deflated by a President that cares more about his golf-clubs than the rights of women.