How to Hot Gin this Christmas | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

How to Hot Gin this Christmas

Deputy Editor Issy Campbell writes a comprehensive How to Guide on this Winter's new favourite festive drink

Whilst mulled wine has always been a drink to celebrate the Christmas festivities, it now has hot competition; hot gin coined by Sipsmith Gin, is the latest winter-warmer. But Hendricks have caught onto the craze too and now offer their very own version of hot gin too.

Sipsmith are offering what is an amazingly fresh twist on the popular drink for both students and non-students alike; Hot G&Ts. Unlike mulled wine, Hot G&Ts are not as typically found and you might not find it in every market or on offer in all bars this winter, but that’s only because it’s so unique. If you can’t wait to try and find a Sipsmith stool that is offering these wintery cocktails, you can actually make them for yourself at home. They are perfect for cosy nights in, dinner parties and will definitely work at quite literally any time on Christmas day. You are able to get your hands on all the ingredients needed to make a Hot G&T via the Sipsmith website, where they also give you the instructions. With only 4 ingredients and 4 steps, it is also far easier than you think

With only 4 ingredients and 4 steps, it is also far easier than you think

Ingredients:

1. 50 ml of Sipsmith gin
2. 25 ml of Tonic syrup
3. Hot Water
4. Orange twist (for a garnish)

Method:
1. Add the gin and tonic syrup together in a mug or heatproof glass
2. Stir well
3. Add Hot Water
4. Add the orange twist to garnish

And yes, you read that right, tonic syrup. Don’t let this put you off, the syrup is needed in order to create a Hot G&T to keep that taste that so many of us adore. If you’re not keen on G&T normally, perhaps you have a sweeter tooth than why not try the Gingerbread Hot G&T. The only difference is the syrup which is used. A bit sweeter in taste, and arguably more festive too, it offers another unique aspect to the cocktail. Both tonic syrups can be pre-ordered now.

If Sipsmith isn’t quite taking your fancy, then perhaps Hendricks’ version will. Their ‘Hot Gin Old Fashioned’ is fairly similar to the Hot G&T, with the same warming and fairly strong taste. Whilst their hot gin is not exactly a ‘twist’ on the G&T, rather a sweeter cocktail, it can definitely still be a great mulled wine alternative.

Christmas drinks

Ingredients:
1. 50 ml of Hendrick’s Gin
2. 10 ml Sugar Syrup
3. 3 Dashes of Orange Bitters
4. 50 ml of Boiling water
Method:
1. Gently heat all three ingredients in a pan
2. Add the boiling water and stir well
3. Serve in a teacup or tankard with orange garnish

They too also offer a more festive-inspired option called the ‘Hot Spiced Apple.’ Arguably harder to create as it does require more ingredients and spices, but the method is again fairly straightforward. Both the recipes, ingredients and methods can be found on the website.

Really all it comes down to is your preference on gins and if you prefer sweeter cocktails or not. For me, the Sipsmith Hot G&T with Gingerbread syrup is the winner here. It is unique in flavour, but not as herbal as the original option. Hot gin is definitely in this winter, and when it’s so easy to make there is really no excuse not to give it a try at home yourself.

Music music music and other stuff (@issycampbell)

22nd December 2018 at 12:52 pm

Personal Creations

Pxhere