Just a day after partaking in the Mermaid Square hustings, the VP for Education hopefuls were once again on board the campaign wagon, this time as part of the Better Education Forum. Cuts and representation Each of the three candidates were given an opportunity to discuss the policies contained within their manifesto and encourage attendees […]

Written by Thomas Byrne

Just a day after partaking in the Mermaid Square hustings, the VP for Education hopefuls were once again on board the campaign wagon, this time as part of the Better Education Forum.

Cuts and representation

Each of the three candidates were given an opportunity to discuss the policies contained within their manifesto and encourage attendees to vote for them.

Matters that were raised by members of the audience included cuts being made to courses, the representation of Erasmus and placement students within the Guild, and the proposals being made to renovate the main library.

Guild and University

A commonality expressed during the session between each of the candidates was a desire to form a stronger relationship between the Guild of Students and senior members of staff within the university. Through doing this, they hope to improve communication between the two parties, which could result in greater student representation upon important matters that will have an impact on their education.

The VPE candidates also found common ground relating to course cuts and closures as well as the importance for genuine quality of education being given at the University of Birmingham. This issue was considered particularly important, especially as the academic year of 2012/13 will see tuition fees rising to £9000.

Erasmus students

There was some division between the three hopefuls however, and one such instance was on the issue of Erasmus students. Simon Furse argued that it would not be plausible for the Guild to actively seek out and communicate with those studying a year abroad or in industry, although they will be accommodated and granted help if they request it.

However, both Dave Glenwright and Sandhya Trott believe that the Guild should do more to engage such students when they are undertaking a placement or Erasmus year.