Impressions: Spyro Reignited Trilogy | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Impressions: Spyro Reignited Trilogy

Redbrick Gaming writers, editors and more importantly, huge Spyro fans, give their impressions on the recently announced Spyro Reignited Trilogy

Fellow gamers. It is time for Redbrick Gaming to give our impressions on what is, for some of us, one of the most anticipated titles of the year - Spyro Reignited Trilogy. A classic trilogy of PlayStation 1 games remade for the current generation of hardware. You can find our more about the collection here.

Here's some of the editors and writers impressions on the game so far, and whether we are excited to play it when it launches later this year.

Nick Burton

I love Spyro. All three of the original games. They are one of the few trilogies in gaming history which, to me, still hold up excellently today. My entire family played Spyro, and it was the one game which we all enjoyed thoroughly. It had just the right formula of collecting items, defeating enemies, and completing challenges, all while travelling through wonderfully different and colourful worlds, with characters you liked, and villains you didn't (but also did).

Yes the gameplay is simple, but for a young gamer, myself at the time, it was absolutely wonderful. More balanced and fair than say Crash, but not difficult enough that you couldn't complete the game. I remember reaching those last few worlds, and everything just feeling epic for getting this far in the game. Believe me when I say, I really do love Spyro.

So you can imagine that this long-rumoured remake trilogy came as a great treat when we've been hearing about it for so long. The game does look slightly too cartoon-y for my tastes, but it does reflect the Crash Bandicoot: N-Sane Trilogy art style, so I can understand this move. In terms of the pricing, it's more expensive than the Crash trilogy, which is fine I suppose; Activision acting very much like the business it is.

However, it is $40.00 in America (retail price for a normal game being $60.00), and yet it is £35.00 in the UK (£40.00 being the normal retail price here). I don't think the right exchange is being accounted for here, and this isn't the first time Activision have forgotten to incorporate exchange rates. Destiny 1 being the other example I am aware of, where they charged the same price here as they did in the USA for the season pass. It doesn't only not make sense, it's ridiculous and unfair for the consumer. I'm still going to buy it though, so why can I moan?

Moving on, Toys for Bob re-doing the controls is fine by me as long as it still feels like Spyro. I have the same worry with the soundtrack; make sure I can still recognise the soundtrack, and we'll be fine. With these worries accounted for (but of course you'll always have worries about things you care about), it looks to be a really great, rejuvenated adventure with my favourite dragon. I hope this can be a home-run. If not, the original games will still exist, and no update or patch can ever change that.

Tom Martin

They say that there are only two certainties in life - death and taxes. However, it seems we can add a third certainty. Activision will remaster all your favourite childhood games and make you feel compelled to buy them again. After the commercial success of the Crash Bandicoot: N-Sane Trilogy, millennial gamers are once again preparing to face a raid on their already empty wallets.

Personally, I’ve been waiting for these remasters for years. Spyro 2 was the first game I ever owned and the first I completed to 100%. The Reignited Trilogy has now become the first game I have ever pre-ordered. These games for me, as I’m sure they did for many players of the classic Play Station, shaped my love for gaming. My earliest memory of gaming is the first level of Ripto’s Rage; I played the game on Play Station 2 but didn’t own a PS1 memory card – required to save the game – thus meaning I had to replay it every time I started up the game. And so that first level – through some kind of Stockholm Syndrome - became my favourite in any game, across my gaming life.

My one fear about the remaster: as Spyro’s original developers, Insomniac, are busy preparing their upcoming PS4 exclusive Spiderman game, the remastered trilogy is being developed by Toys for Bob (the heathens who rejoiced in dragging our favourite purple dragon through the mess that was Skylanders). As someone who played – and hated – Skylanders, seeing them head this project worries me. However, at the end of the day, it shouldn’t really matter who’s developing it; much like the Crash games, one expects these to be the original games covered in a shiny new coat of paint – would we want it any other way?

Activision doesn’t seem to think so, as they stated in a press release that Tom Kenny, the original voice actor in Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage! and Spyro: Year of the Dragon, will return to voice Spyro in the trilogy. Fans are also promised a ‘wicked remaster of Stewart Copeland’s original soundtrack from the first three games.’ Paul Yan, Chief Creative Officer at Toys for Bob has assured fans: ‘We're bringing back the Spyro we all fell in love with 20 years ago."

I can’t wait.

Sam Nason

It’s no understatement to say that Spyro is one of the most iconic video game characters of the PS1/PS2 era. As soon as the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy was announced, my mind - and I’m pretty sure everybody else’s - drifted towards the Spyro series. In many ways, its companion series. Acclaimed as one of the best platformer/puzzler series of all time, Toys for Bob is developing the remakes of the original Spyro PS1 trilogy, coming to PS4 and XBOX ONE this autumn.

Fun fact - Toys for Bob were also the developers of the Skylanders series, the IP that turned Spyro from a loveable purple dragon to an awful, feral abomination. It’s even more of a joyous surprise, then, that the trailer shows the gameplay, characters and environments have been relatively untouched, instead boosted and updated for a modern, high-definition release. Promises of Tom Kenny returning as Spyro, the original soundtrack being updated, and a £35 price tag show their commitment to making the collection the best it can be.

I’m ashamed to say the only game of this trilogy I’ve played is Spyro 2: Gateway to Glimmer. Yet that just exemplifies why I’m so excited for this collection - the prospect of playing two new, classic titles along with reliving my enjoyment for a third. The world design, character building and soundtrack, from what I’ve seen, is exemplary, and if the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy is anything to go by, this will be an incredible collection of games with some optional additions to enhance the experience. This is a guaranteed day one purchase for me, and I hope it reinvigorates interest in the franchise, just like Crash before it.

11th April 2018 at 9:00 am

Amazon