One of the jobs of the VP Democracy and Resources is to oversee the democratic process in the guild, including the Officer elections currently ongoing. But amidst some apathy amongst student at the widespread soggy cardboard, the candidates for the VPDR position spoke to us about how they’ve found the elections process and what they’d […]

Written by Zahra Damji
Final Year Law Student and Redbrick News Editor.

One of the jobs of the VP Democracy and Resources is to oversee the democratic process in the guild, including the Officer elections currently ongoing. But amidst some apathy amongst student at the widespread soggy cardboard, the candidates for the VPDR position spoke to us about how they’ve found the elections process and what they’d change.

Vici ‘Casino’ Royle

Vote Match isn’t really working. Basically, I’ve been trying to do Vote Match for the other candidates and I get bored. I got bored even answering the Democracy and Resources questions and that’s the shortest shortlist so I get distracted by other things.

So I think maybe I might change that, if we still use it, if that’s what students wanted because obviously I wouldn’t make all the decisions just for myself, then I think I’d reduce the shortlist to maybe ten questions each, rather than where all the controversies lie then it’d be all of the questions, or even like a limit of eight.

As well as that, I think candidates are getting really tired so there is talk of possibly reducing campaigning and voting to only one week or one and a half week so I might have a look at that and see what people have thought of that and how candidates have reacted to campaigning this time round.

Leander ‘the Panda’ Jones

I’d change a lot. First thing, we definitely need to cut it in half. Make it just a week. Everyone’s seen what’s happening. I mean it’s very visible and everyone knows what’s going on.

Pointlessly doing it for two weeks, it just exhausts candidates and it means it’s hard for third years who have got lots of work to do and for disabled people, it’s quite inaccessible. So I’d definitely cut it in half. Also, although I’m running on a gimmick, I think gimmicks are a piece of s*** to be honest. The only reason I’m doing it is because everyone’s doing it and it’s a bit impossible otherwise.

I mean Simon’s very brave. He’s doing it without a gimmick, so the no-gimmick gimmick but I’m finding it pretty impossible to run without one. It’s quite annoying because people only remember your face or your gimmick but they don’t pay attention to your policies. Even though it might increase turnout for voting, it’s quite anti-democratic really.

Rob ‘the Builder’ Sassoon

I’ve been focusing on what the elections are doing for candidates. I mean it’s Friday already, we’ve been doing this for five days and a lot of candidates and their teams are really, really tired and I think that just from talking to students and standing outside the library, people are becoming increasingly apathetic to the elections already.

It’s a real shame because we’re all here because we want to make a change to the guild but it has all turned a little into ‘who’s got the biggest banner?’, ‘who’s got the biggest cardboard?’ so you know if I’m elected, I want to look at the elections and how they’re run.

We’ve got an elections committee who oversee the Sabb elections in March but they don’t really have another purpose other than that. So I want to bring elections committee together in the year, give them a purpose so that they can look at the elections and look at the regulations. Because, paint is expensive and it’s currently under our free and phase policy which means we can buy as much as we want and it just comes out of our own pockets and that’s not really fair to some of the candidates who maybe don’t have as much money.

So I want to look at the free and phase regulation. I want to look at the length of the elections. A lot of people are saying that two weeks is too long so maybe we only have one week, maybe one and a half week next year but something’s got to change.