On 22nd April, the Cabinet approved plans for the Life Sciences Campus Redevelopment on the former Battery Park site in Selly Oak. It is expected that the campus, located close to both the Queen Elizabeth Hospital and the University of Birmingham, will attract new and existing companies in the pharmaceutical, life sciences and health sectors. […]

News Editor: March 2013 - April 2014

On 22nd April, the Cabinet approved plans for the Life Sciences Campus Redevelopment on the former Battery Park site in Selly Oak.

It is expected that the campus, located close to both the Queen Elizabeth Hospital and the University of Birmingham, will attract new and existing companies in the pharmaceutical, life sciences and health sectors.

The proposals are part of a wider canal-side development and regeneration of the Battery Park, set to include a superstore, up to 20 shops, bars, restaurants and student flats.

‘It is expected that the campus will provide up to 2,400 jobs on site and generate a turnover of up to £243 million, in addition to bringing back to life a site that has been left vacant for decades.’

Councillor Ian Ward, Deputy Leader of Birmingham City Council, said ‘It is expected that the campus will provide up to 2,400 jobs on site and generate a turnover of up to £243 million, in addition to bringing back to life a site that has been left vacant for decades.’

Despite the public concerns over the redevelopment plans being voiced in March, the local community and businesses are undisputed in their opinions of the life sciences campus as an opportunity to boost growth in the life sciences sector.

The work of both the University of Birmingham and the University of Warwick has already played a role in boosting the city’s involvement in the life sciences sector, which has grown by 45 per cent since 2005.

Land Securities Project Director, Neil Carron commented, ‘We are pleased to be working with the council to deliver a high-quality, mixed-use development that will unlock wider economic benefits for Birmingham.’