Live Review: Baby Strange | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Live Review: Baby Strange

Sophie Sutcliffe looks in on the rising Glasgow punks at the Sunflower Lounge.

Birmingham’s most cosy-comfy venue, The Sunflower Lounge, played host to Glasgow pretty-boy-come-punks Baby Strange last night, with lively support from Catholic Action and FRANK. By the time the supports finished a tight little crowd had formed downstairs - made up, for the most part,  of the recognisable denim clad teens you come to know when frequenting the events on Birmingham Promoters’ ‘What’s On’ list. Tonight, it was obvious everybody was ready to get involved and no time was wasted as the trio launched into a ten-song set of crowd pleasers.

One song in and ‘VVV’ got the audience immediately excited with its potential for a sing-along. The slower tempo made for something of a specific feel, an almost eerie chant backed by the heavy drums. Having the crowd immediately on-side led the band to play with a confidence that brought out the best in their music, suited perfectly to this slightly grimy, or shall we say ‘lived in’, basement room. 

Having the crowd immediately on-side led the band to play with a confidence that brought out the best in their music

On record, they’re punk, but as a live band, Baby Strange seem to nail feeling both pop and punk without being anything that comes remotely close to pop punk. That is, they play grungy rebel rock with some fun choruses that are reminiscent of those of the indie pop world. This is confirmed mid-set by the reaction to the chorus of old favourite ‘Pure Evil’, with what felt like everyone in the room bursting into ‘Ew, I’m tired of my generation / Ew, I only wanna be alone’. It’s nothing new or radical, but maybe that’s why it works; everybody knows kids love to complain about their generation - who doesn’t want to chant about it surrounded by like-minded people?

A certain level of pride in the new material really evokes some excitement for further releases and what more we have to come from Baby Strange.
It’s a fun Tuesday night. Front man Johnny had spoken some grateful words about the crowd and in return they kept up the enthusiasm, enjoying every lively minute. The commitment here was obvious, those who’ve been lucky enough to have discovered Baby Strange in the last few years are a dedicated bunch. This feeling of allegiance didn’t let down when newest release ‘Pleasure City’ was played, with a word for word sing along despite it only being available online for a week. The song was played well and there seemed to be a strong sense of musicianship, sounding very much like the recording but with enough of a rough live edge to keep things fun and stick to their more grungy roots.

A certain level of pride in the new material really evokes some excitement for further releases and what more we have to come from Baby Strange. Finishing with ‘That One Off Made In Chelsea’, and definite hit of the night, ‘Friend’, the evening came to it’s climax and an almost inevitable stage invasion ensued. The usual two minutes of non-stop tight lyrics were dragged out to milk the moment, and the night came to it’s sweaty end with a sense of satisfaction in the air, and plenty of pats on the back for the band.

(@omgsoph)

Facebook