Life and Style Writer, Kathryn Langford celebrates celebrtity makeup artist and self named brand owner Charlotte Tilbury receiving an MBE from the Queen

Written by Kathryn Langford

With an estimated net worth of nearly $8 million, Charlotte Tilbury’s success is undeniable. Her passion for skincare and beauty began at the age of 13, when she began experimenting with makeup whilst attending boarding school in London. Twenty seven years later, in 2013, she launched her own makeup brand, Charlotte Tilbury Beauty Ltd. Since then, this British businesswoman has picked up over 180 awards and her work has been featured on over 100 Vogue covers. In 2012, Tilbury launched her own YouTube channel, which she uses to broadcast makeup tutorials to her 610,000 subscribers, sometimes featuring high-profile celebrities such as Kate Moss and Emily Ratajkowski.

When considering her influence as both a makeup artist and entrepreneur, it is hardly surprising to hear Tilbury received an MBE this year for her services to the beauty and cosmetics industry. On the 13th November 2018, Tilbury visited Buckingham Palace to receive the esteemed award from Her Majesty in person.

Tilbury is a self-professed fan of the royal family, and this has clearly influenced her work, such as her regally influenced lipstick shades ‘Duchess’, ‘Legendary Queen’ and ‘The Queen'

Tilbury is a self-professed fan of the royal family, and this has clearly influenced her work, such as her regally influenced lipstick shades ‘Duchess’, ‘Legendary Queen’ and ‘The Queen’ . It is likely the shade ‘Duchess’ was inspired by Kate Middleton’s signature rose pink lipstick. Likewise, ‘Legendary Queen’ is a clear homage to Queen Elizabeth’s favoured wine-red lips.

Tilbury’s approach to makeup focuses on enhancing natural beauty rather than masking it. An avid believer in self-appreciation, she is quoted on her page as saying ‘Thank-you to EVERYONE who has helped me realise my dream of sharing the confidence-boosting powers of make-up magic with the world’– a refreshing and down to earth approach to make-up.  Many of her makeup products feature nude and subtle shades, a contrast to some of the more ostentatious makeup looks and products favoured by other brands. This isn’t to diminish the value of other brands who promote colourful looks, but perhaps helps to explain why the Queen, who favours a more natural approach to makeup, believed Tilbury’s work to be deserving of an MBE.

Not only are 85% of Tilbury’s workforce female, but the flourishing makeup artist is involved in many female orientated charities, such as Women for Women International

Furthermore, Charlotte Tilbury is a feminist icon to women worldwide. Not only are 85% of Tilbury’s workforce female, but the flourishing makeup artist is involved in many female orientated charities, such as Women for Women International. This charity, for whom Tilbury is a global ambassador, provides financial, practical and moral support to female survivors of war.

Charlotte Tilbury is a paragon for business women globally, and an MBE is a fine recognition of her work. With her empire ever continuing to expand, it will be interesting to see what Tilbury does next.