MCM London Comic-Con | Hands On: Blood and Truth | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

MCM London Comic-Con | Hands On: Blood and Truth

Gaming Editor Imogen Mellor got the chance to get thrown into the world of Blood and Truth. Will this game get people fired up, or be the bottom of the barrel?

The October edition of MCM Comic-Con was filled to the brim with cosplayers, gamers and nerd culture fans of all ages, genders and excitement levels. Most of Comic-Con, for those who haven’t been, is a lot of merchandise, from art prints from small creators, to Funko Pops that people line up for hours to buy. There are a few Gaming companies that do show up however, with small booths dotted around the massive halls. It was at the Playstation Booth that I got to try out Blood and Truth.

Blood and Truth was yet to get a release date which made me hesitant to want to try it. Having tried some VR before, I didn’t know if it would look good or feel immersive. It’s frequent for games like this to fall short on visuals or mechanics when released, let alone when in production, so how is Blood and Truth going to win a crowd over?

‘Ye of little faith,’ I hear the developers SIE London Studios whisper as the intro starts up. In the demo you’re given a short sequence to practise how the game works and it’s surprisingly intuitive. You’ve got a gun that you can hold but switch hands with, just as if you are holding an item in real life. You also have ammo on your chest so you reload, just as you would in real life, by putting a cartridge in the bottom of the gun. Walking isn’t really an option, you sort of just point and click to go to a designated spot but that isn’t where the fun is. It’s in the combat.

Seconds later you are dropped into the middle of a council estate somewhere in London. Random objects like concrete and cars line the way forward as you survey the surroundings until quite unexpectedly you hear a youth shout ‘Oi. Wanker!’. Shocking and unacceptable. It’s enough for you to know to shoot the assailant. That, amongst other insults, like bullets flying past your head, gives you prompts of who to open fire at and when to take off running towards a checkpoint you honestly know nothing about. Your long and extensive three minutes of training prepared you for this and you feel like a badass breaking your mum out of a bad situation.

The demo lasted about 30 minutes, and I can honestly say that the time flew by so quickly that I really wanted to keep playing! The graphics, although not 100% polished to the point of real life, were good enough to make you really feel like you were there in the fire fight with some random kids who happened to upgrade from nerf guns a little too well. The controls, whilst a little janky when you move too fast for it to realise what you’re doing, still provide a great feeling of purpose and achievement when you reload just in time to eliminate an enemy.

All in all, it will be very exciting to see what this game holds when it’s released, whenever that may be. I hope it’s a staple for all those that play VR games at the moment in times to come and a good point of reference for others of how to do VR right.

Sociology Student. Decent Musician. Part Time Gamer. Makeup Enthusiast. Not too great Kickboxer. Likes to speak in short sentences... (@imomellor)

Sony