Meet Wrecking Ball - Overwatch's Newest Hero | Redbrick | University of Birmingham

Meet Wrecking Ball – Overwatch’s Newest Hero

Overwatch brings us a new hero, Wrecking Ball. What can this hell-raising hamster do?

Overwatch strikes yet again with a character, I don’t think some fans expected. Introducing Wrecking Ball, a small hamster playing havoc in your match in a massive sphere of destruction. A little over the top? Blizzard doesn’t think so.

According to the lore of the game, Hammond, the Hamster that controls Wrecking Ball, was a test subject on the moon, along with everyone’s favourite gorilla, Winston. He escaped in the chaos of Horizon Lunar Colony being turned upside down and no one thought too much off it. How much damage could one tiny Hamster do anyway? Apparently a lot, as Wrecking Ball is the newest tank to grace our platforms.

Only currently available on the PTR (Public Test Realm), Wrecking Ball’s current features are:

• Quad Cannons - Automatic assault weapons - think D.va’s guns but you have to reload.
  • Grappling Claw - Attach it to a surface and swing rapidly around the area - going faster does more damage to other players and causes knock back
  • Roll - What would a hamster be without a ball it could roll around in? Increases movement speed but takes away any guns and other abilities whilst you are in this form
  • Piledriver - Slam down into the ground below and launch enemies up into the air. Sort of like Doomfist.
  • Adaptive Shield - Give yourself a shield. The more close proximity enemies, the more shield you get.
  • Minefield - Wrecking Ball’s Ultimate. Does what it says on the tin, deploying 15 mines which can do 130 damage each.

Main thoughts from players at the moment, are that this is a high skilled character. It isn’t going to be an easy hero to learn with so many abilities, however, if one were to master them, Wrecking Ball is a force to be reckoned with.

Wrecking Ball's introduction into the game has also been a lot smoother than previous heroes. Overwatch in the past has overhyped characters like Sombra, so when she was released, she was underwhelming. The chase of the character was more fun than the character herself. Since then, Blizzard have released characters better and with less overexcitement.

We will have to see if Hammond and his mech will fit into the meta well, what changes will inevitably be made to his abilities, and how someone is going to cosplay him at various conventions. Until then, fan welcome the new arrival, and can’t wait to see what the Blizzard's Overwatch team do next.

Sociology Student. Decent Musician. Part Time Gamer. Makeup Enthusiast. Not too great Kickboxer. Likes to speak in short sentences... (@imomellor)

19th July 2018 at 9:00 am

18th July 2018 at 2:36 pm

Blizzard Entertainment